Where to Start? -- Game Development

I have a moderate knowledge of C / C++ concepts and I'd love to transfer to game development. Where would you say a good starting point is? Developer console game development? Finding a 2D graphics library?

I know C++ isn't what a lot of people recommend writing games in, but I admire its efficiency and memory management capabilities.

EDIT: I have no problem learning from a textbook if anyone has a resource of that nature.
Last edited on
A while back I had the same question as you did, and had an idea for a game I wanted to work on. To make things more complicated and interesting for myself I wrote my own game engine with the SDL2 library. Although I never finished the game It was a really good learning experience and I had a lot of fun doing it.

In case you want to try it out, here is the sdl2 tutorial: http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Awesome! I'm glad to have been of any help! :)
Before you make a decision about technology it might be good to think about your future. What else do you want to do besides game development? Picking C++ might be the best choice if you want to use Unreal and get hired by bigger studios.

Java and Android focused games might be good if you think of potential switch to Java enterprise world. Java in banking pays up to 10 times more than programming jobs in gaming but might not give you game game development joy.

Visit: https://crbtech.in/online-java-training-course

Last edited on
you have to choose well the way to go, you can have a bad choice of technology and stay out of play
I don't think OP mentioned trying to get a job, sounded more like he was looking into gamedev for leisure :)
Since someone suggested SDL, I'll also add another: SFML. Both are quite fun, but from personal experience, if you dislike dealing with pointers, I suggest using SFML. It's a bit more easy IMO, but I have heard if you are going to port it to Steam, it's easier if it's written using SDL. I would also suggest making a SNES JRPG like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy if you're looking to gain more experience. Those can be ridiculously fun to design if you've grown up playing them.

Also, you'll be surprised how many game engines are writtin in C++.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.