Special member function as a template?

I am currently reading a book (C++ Templates: The Complete Guide 2e) that explains that a member function template will never replace the special member functions like a copy constructor, and if you define only a copy-constructor as a template, then the compiler still generates one for you.

However, the author also included a terse hack that overrides this:

class C
{
  public:
    // user-define the predefined copy constructor as deleted
    // (with conversion to volatile to enable better matches)
    C(C const volatile&) = delete;

// implement copy constructor template with better match:
    template<typename T>
    C (T const&) {
        std::cout << "tmpl copy constructor\n";
    }
};

This seems interesting. However my question is why the argument is marked volatile. I understand the concept of this, but I don't see why converting to volatile enables "better matches." Could someone elucidate?
If it doesn't have "volatile" then it won't match a volatile object. By having both const and volatile it will match any cv-qualified or non-qualified object.
What exactly would be the purpose of a volatile object? I get what volatile does, it prevents the compiler from making certain optimizations in a loop like this:

volatile int a = 40;
while(a == 40) {...}

I get the concept for basic types like int. But what does making a class object volatile do?
Last edited on
I don't see why converting to volatile enables "better matches"

Perhaps the meaning is: to be sure to match any possible parameter passed (it could be a ā€˜Cā€™ declared const volatile), do delete the copy constructor which accepts a const volatile reference.
(Just an hypothesis)

Perhaps this page can be of some help:
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/copy_constructor
cppreference wrote:
This implicitly-declared copy constructor has the form T::T(const T&) if ā€¦
[omissis]
Otherwise, the implicitly-declared copy constructor is T::T(T&). (Note that due to these rules, the implicitly-declared copy constructor cannot bind to a volatile lvalue argument.)

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.