Text Base Adventure Game in C++

Hey, I was trying to see if you someone could help me on creating a text-based adventure game. It's just for something I wanted to do as a fun project.
1 question is what type? For me there is 2 types, one is where you type commands that are then parsed as you explore the world, the other more simple approach for a beginner is to display a list of options to the player (1. go north 2. go south 3. examine note) etc.

if the latter, what I did was start with a "room" or "area" class, with had pointers to it's links.

class room {
public:
	std::string name;
	std::string desc;
	room* north{ nullptr };
	room* east{ nullptr };
	room* south{ nullptr };
	room* west{ nullptr };
	std::vector<std::string> menu;
	std::vector<std::string> menu_2;
	bool seen{ false };
       void(*fptr)(room*);

Then in main declare a pointer to keep track of the current room the player is in, give it a starting room then in the game loop call the rooms function pointer, e.g.:

room* current = starting_room;

void game_loop()
{
	while (true)
	{
		print(current->name);

if (current->seen)
		{
			current->print_menu_2();
		}
		else
		{
			current->print_menu();
		}

current->fptr(current);
	}
}

Then the rest is easy really, build a player class to store details, inventory etc, a battle class to handle combat based on dice rolls and player vs enemy stats and so on.

For each area you'll probably have a bunch of functions that are executed when the player navigates it's preset menu options. One thing I would recommend though, is that you add sound and use something like NCURSES or PDCURSES to make a proper text interface, as raw command line I/O is a bit lame (just my opinion)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.