How to make a game in C++

hi, i was wondering if anyone knew of a good guide to making games in c++ i want to start with an easy type of game, like a maze or platform, i am only 11 so making games is the only thing that appeals to me in c++, i hope someone can help.
regards,
alex
edit: i use devc++

edit:, i came across another problem! i downloaded Maya Personal leaarning edition 8.5 and looked at it, and i think i downloaded the wrong one because it is a spriting software. can someone send me a link?
Last edited on
Well, there aren't too many books out there or tutorials that I've found that teach graphical game develompent straight up for c++. Many of the books teach the basics and the logic for text based games such as:

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming Second Edition (Michael Dawson)

You can pick up one of those and take an OpenGL or Maya tutorial. Maya learning edition is free. There is also an excellent starter kit called DarkGDK for Visual C++ 2008 Express. Take a look at this site, should point you in the right direction.

http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/

return 0;
Well it's not going to be quite as easy as you think. How much do you know about C++? If not too much then you will get very lost in DarkGDK, Maya, or OpenGL. But nothing is stopping you from checking them out.

For 2D game programming, I've tried SDL and I think it's the best thing out there. Easy to use, fast, portable, and, with the sister libraries (SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf), it has everything you need for a 2D game.

But I'm also wandering how much you really know about C++, or even programming in general (specially after reading some of your posts). I don't think you could be able to do anything playable with any of these libraries without at least... four to six months experience. And I think I'm being optimistic.
I would pick up an open source engine, and start from there. No point trying to build your own engine if you are just starting out.

Something like www.ogre3d.org would be ideal.
@ Zaita:

ogre3d is just a renderer apparently. Now to be honest, I myself don't know what "just a renderer" means. What is the rendering aspect of game development? I think it has something to do with graphics I don't know i'm headed to wikipedia after this. Anyways maybe it's not just a renderer but I got my info from www.devmaster.net. I'm posting a new topic asking what all the programs and utilities are needed for 3d games.

The long road ahead...
If you are capable in C/C++, you should write some games using the standard output/input libraries first, via text-based games.

If you can do this, then chances are you are capable of learning some libraries.

I recommend SDL and DarkGDK.

I can say this since I'm only 13 myself.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.