Error when i try to compile a program

hi, i just downloaded microsoft visual c++ 2008, because i was told it was better than what i was going to use, dev c++. I have posted this question in other forums, but no would could give me a soild answer. here is all the info

what happens when i build solution

------ Build started: Project: a, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Embedding manifest...
.\Debug\helloworld.exe.intermediate.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the file specified.
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Hal Stanley\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\helloworld\helloworld\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
a - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

when trying to run

------ Build started: Project: a, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Embedding manifest...
.\Debug\helloworld.exe.intermediate.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the file specified.
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Hal Stanley\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\helloworld\helloworld\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
a - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

the error displayed when try to run in a pop up box

Unable to start program 'C:\documents and settings\Hal Stanley\My Documents\VIsual Studio 2008\ Projects\helloworld\debug\helloworld.exe

the system cannot find the file specified.

i tried redownloading, but that did not work....when you redownload does it take apart all the folders and then make them again? or just take everything out of the folders and then make then again....if the ladder, i might have to manualy delete all the files.
well hope everyone can help!
thanks
alex
It is trying to find a file named "helloworld.exe.intermediate.manifest" but it cannot find it.

A MS manifest file is used to specify certain resource properties of a program. The most common example I know of is to tell XP to use the pretty XP-style themable window controls when displaying your program.

But before we get that far... make sure you are compiling a console application. Once you are sure that you are...

Go to where the file should be (in "C:\Documents and Settings\Hal Stanley\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\helloworld\helloworld\" and the "Debug\" subdirectory) and look to see if there is any file there with an extension of ".manifest". If so, copy it to a file with the right name and try compiling again.

If not, you can use this one:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <dependency>
     <dependentAssembly>
       <assemblyIdentity
         type="win32"
         name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
         version="6.0.0.0"
         processorArchitecture="X86"
         publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
         language="*"
         />
       </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>
  </assembly>

Hopefully that will allow you to compile your project. But the original error remains:

Take some time looking through the project options and make sure you have "use manifest" or something like that disabled for new console projects, or for new GUI projects that you have "generate manifest" or somesuch enabled.

If none of this helps, you'll have to go through MS technical support or find an online forum for it. (I'm pretty sure I found one such forum online once... You might want to try your luck over at http://www.codeguru.com/forum/ .)

Hope this helps.

[edit] Oh yeah, I often find it to be a good idea to manually remove all your folders once you have uninstalled the application and rebooted.
Last edited on
how do i put in the
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

thing....? do i just put it on notepad or something? lol. But thanks much for the help. But i had a console application, and i did not see the .manifest
Yes, it is a text file. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Chances are you must turn on hidden files.
Go to the top menu in the folder viewer.
In the top left menu (with "File, Edit", etc.):
Folder->Folder Options
Will bring up a menu.
Check the "Show Hidden Files" box and press OK.
Then look around in your project directory and subdirectories, you should see it.
If not, then... I don't know.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.