{
    string filename;
    cout << "Please enter the name of the file:\t";
    getline(cin, filename);

if(filename.find('.') == string::npos)
    {
        char option;
        string ext;
        cout << "File extension not provided. Create file with .txt extension? Y/n\t";
        option = getchar();

switch(option)
        {
            case 'n':
            case 'N':
            cout << "Please enter extension | <Return> to dismiss:\t";
            getline(cin, ext);
            if (!ext.empty()) {filename = filename + "." + ext;}
            break;

case 'y':
            case 'Y':
            default:
            filename = filename + ".txt";
            break;
        }
    }

filename = "./files/" + filename;

int pathsize = filename.size() + 1;
    char* path = new char[pathsize];

for (int i=0; i<pathsize-1; i++)
    {
        path[i] = filename[i];
    }
    path[pathsize-1] = '\0';

ofstream file;
    file.open(path);
    if(file.is_open())
    {
        cout << "\nFile created: " << filename << endl;
        file.close();
    }
    return 0;
}

Line 25: Doesn't work. Doesn't even wait for input, goes ahead and puts ext = " "

I think that is because there is already a <Return> in keyboard buffer (from getchar() at line 18... So, the particular getline() at line 25 takes that pending <Return> as end of input and sets ext to empty...

I can only think of one solution. 1) Using some other function instead of getchar() above... 2) Replacing getline(cin, ext) with cin >> ext...

2 is okay because I use getline simply because cin considers a white space as termination of the string. When I want sentences or strings with spaces I use getline. Since ext is supposed to be an extension, it doesn't need spaces. So I could do with cin. But there is a problem there, too. With cin, no matter how many <Return> I press, it keeps on waiting for input. Say I don't want an extension. So when the program asks for extension, I simply press <Return> to tell it "no extension" and it understands. That works with getline, but not with cin. So, cin is not a good option.

1 is IMO the best option. But I don't know which function to choose. I want a function such that I only have to press 'y' or 'n' and it takes the input (without having to press <Return>)... No <Return> pressed, no <Return> pending... That could be done by using getch() or getche() both of which are in conio.h... And I know for a fact that neither conio.h nor any of the mentioned functions are any close to being standard. I want to keep it standard and simple at the same time.

I posted another thread asking for options against 1. I didn't have any problem with getline at that time, but I wanted the input without <Return> anyway. Now, finding a solution is more important since this is effecting getline() too. That thread is located here: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/33659/

What do I do?
Put std::cin.ignore( std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max(), '\n' ); on line 19 - it will remove '\n' from the input buffer.
Will it "remove" '\n' from the buffer or just ignore if it's there?

And what about option 2?
Last edited on
Will it "remove" '\n' from the buffer or just ignore if it's there?

I'm not sure about that but the documentation* says
Extracts characters from the input sequence and discards them.

* http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/istream/ignore/
Thank you very much.
And I got an answer for option 2 in my other thread: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/33659/
That is working, too... So I can use any of them. I am using both; this one just to make sure there are no pending chars from buffers in case I call getline somewhere else.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.