IDE for C++ programming

Hello everybody,
I am new to C++ and my background is electronics, I would like to use C++ for my electronic projects (computer interface controlled programming such as via COM232/485, USB, Firewire 1394 port). Could any senior on this give me some advices of what IDE should I use so that it can be fit my projects and works efficiently.

My laptop configuration: ThinkPad T61, Core2 dual 2.1Ghz x2, DDRAM2 3Ghz, Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit OS.

I am considering between wxDev-C++ 7.3.1.3 & Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express.

Thanks and Best Regards,
PhamKhoa.
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
I'm no hardware programmer but I've heard Code Warrior is used for this type of thing. Also, Intel have a C++ development suit which handles CPU and memory management; I think it's called Parallel Studio.
The best IDE I've ever used is no IDE at all; text editor (I use emacs) and make files (by which I mean text files that are used by the well-known programme 'make') to directly call the compiler and linker (I switch between gcc and clang).

This is not, however, a popular view, and is probably something of a function of the kind of programming I am generally engaged in.
Last edited on
I have some experiance with what you're doing, and assuming that you are one of those massacist types who enjoys wiring the output pins on serial ports up to LM380's you'll want to consider this at least to get you started: http://www.microsoft.com/robotics/

Otherwise if you're the sensible kind of person who springs for an MCU then most of them come with either an iterperator based on their own language, or a C, C++ compiler with an API of their own. This is the route I would recomend going as it starts you off in the right direction instead of every direction at once, which learning C++ would do.
Last edited on
Thanks for all your quick response,

What exactly I wanna do is that I wanna make a windows application (windows form) for users to control hardwares outside computer as peripheral devices connected to computer via USB, COM232, LTB etc... Of course, the hardware can be electronic board controlled by MCU or FPGA and these board can communicate to computer and controlled by computer as well.

So far I have done this with 8051, AVR MCU's families for the electronics board side, for computer side I was using Delphi as IDE with VCLs & pascal basis. Now I wanna move to C++ based so I asked for the new IDE.

I found Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express doesn't support MFC which is similar with VCL in Delphi but we can solve this by API (sorry if I was wrong), for wxDev-C++ 7.3.1.3 I have no idea on this.

Seniors, please give me some suggestions.

Rgds, PhamKhoa.
Use Visual C++ 2010 Express if you want to do Windows Forms. You can drag controls onto the window. If you don't like managed code, VCE can still do native code. I use Code::Blocks on my lappy just because its small and fast.
Use Visual C++ 2010 Express if you want to do Windows Forms. You can drag controls onto the window. If you don't like managed code, VCE can still do native code. I use Code::Blocks on my lappy just because its small and fast.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.