Can you please suggest me a good book?

Hi,

I'm looking for a book which teachs you c++ applications (NOT console applications).

I've tried a game programming book but it's a little too advanced for me at the moment.

I'd like the book to have tutorials like create simple stuff such as a virtual calculator, things like that.

Do you know of any?
Last edited on
NOT console applications

Do you know what lib your going to use then? I'm assuming the know the big ones like OpenGL, Directx, and ORGE, for 3D at least. Then you have other ones like SDL, Allegro(not the #1 pick), and SFML.

These are all grapics libs though so if thats not your cup of tea...
Do you wanna use any toolkit? With Qt or GTK, for example. If you use Windows, you can use the API of this system, the WinAPI, you can use graphics using this API.
While this isn't a book suggestion, I would leave you with the caution that writing GUI-based applications is significantly more difficult than console based applications. That said, I'm not trying to discourage you; I'm just trying to warn you that no matter what book you use, there will be a significant learning curve.

If you want to use write GUI-based applications, you'll need a library of some sort. I generally use wxWidgets, for portability and (relative) simplicity reasons, but there are a lot of libraries to choose from. Different programmers will suggest different libraries... and some will have very strong opinions on this. ;)

There's some good starting point material for wxWidgets here:
http://www.wxwidgets.org/docs/tutorials.htm

There's also a default library for writing Windows applications that will probably have come with your compiler (assuming you're using a Windows machine) but I've never used it directly, so I can't really be of much help there. I also understand that it isn't as novice-friendly as some of the other libraries.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.
Last edited on
I use Ubuntu 10.10. Is wxWidgets cross-platform?
That's why I use it. It's also in the Ubuntu repository.
You might also want to take a look at Qt Creator, it makes creating GUI applications fairly easy. It doesn't match the legendary C++Builder, but of all other designers I've seen, it comes the closest.
It's cross-platform too.
I've also heard good things about GTK+. All three of these libraries are Linux friendly.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.