text processing.

Hi,

I want to write an''ideal''class for general text processing.
What it has facilities should it?
How do I write this ?
It's called the standard library and it is already ideal for text processing.
It's called the standard library and it is already ideal for text processing.

8^) rofl - we are on fire tonight!

for general text processing, I personally wouldn't even use C++ - it's like trying to patch a hole in your shirt with a ten-ton hammer

if you don't have a ****-on for C++ for this particular project, consider Ruby, python, or even UNIX command-line with pipes or perl and save yourself a ton of time

Why does not C + + for this job?
Because Perl or Python (I don't know enough Ruby) are much better suited for manipulating text. I would hardly call the C++ standard library "ideal" for text processing.
What is the exact text processing ?
Text processing means doing any kind of work in which you need to manipulate text. You might be looking for a specific word or regular expression, replacing something, formatting or whatever.
If you are interested you can check out this thread where the OP is trying to do some text processing with a 130+ line C++ program and still not succeeding, but one can pull it off using a one-liner UNIX command (or, technically, a 4-liner shell):

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/42370/

Of course, I don't recommend doing it this way if the text processing required is more complex - in that case, I would do perl, python, or Ruby for easier maintenance - using any of these tools, it's much easier than in C++

PS: to do what he wants, you don't really need 130 lines in C++, you may be able to pull it off in 30-40 lines in C++ if you are good (I'm guesstimating atm - been up-all-night - it's 5:30AM here) - in any case, it's much easier using the other tools
Last edited on
Thank you for your responses.
If you insist to do it by C++, you could consider about the regular expression of boost
I think that current standard(c++03) is not "ideal" for complex text processing
stereoMatching:

If you insist to do it by C++, you could consider about the regular expression of boost
I think that current standard(c++03) is not "ideal" for complex text processing

thanks..
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.