Using Mouse as Input device

hello everyone...i am making a checkers game.....for the users input i can take it using coordinates with the keyboard ...but i wanted to do it with the mouse.....can anyone guide me through it ? any links to tutorials or any help...:)
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/28558/
- you could, but don't do it in console.
Unlike platform independent toolkits such as Java using JDK, C++ has no native GUI extensions as part of the core language or STL (Standard Template Library).

Third party libraries such as QT will have their own examples of integrating mouse capability. Windows forms use their own libraries for this as well.

In order to find the answers you seek, research GUI libraries for your operating system. Then decide what type of application you would need it for.

A checkers game with a GUI is a great idea for learning whichever GUI tool kit you decide on using. However, a more simple approach -- perhaps a text based game -- will give you experience using core C++ and the STL without worrying about GUI dependencies.

Have fun :)
Last edited on
A checkers game with a GUI is a great idea for learning whichever GUI tool kit you decide on using. However, a more simple approach -- perhaps a text based game -- will give you experience using core C++ and the STL without worrying about GUI dependencies.

+1 to johnnystar. No offense ChanGeZi but in your first post you said you were a noob and you had trouble with the simple pattern drawing program. Then you want to do a checkers game with GUI graphics, and now event-based mouse control. Unless you're a genius that's too much, too fast and you're going to get frustrated and discouraged. Stick with the basics for a while until they're second nature and then move on to more advanced features. Keep up the positive attitude though. Good Luck with your games!
Is it just me or did he really not say anything about gui? I'm pretty sure he's trying to do it in console. Hence the "for the users input i can take it using coordinates with the keyboard".
Also, saying that console is easier is mostly untrue.
sorry guys but i am realy a noob...its just that i am getting ideas..and i want to share it with you guys,,,,so that i get a bit of the basic ideas of what the concept would be....thanks for the advice guys ...i will try my best ....@cnoeval thanks dude for your support :)
@hamsterman ....about SFML i am having problem setting it up on windows 7 and which IDE should i use with it ?? if u can guide me through this....the setting up part is a bit confusing and i am confused ;S
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.