Which book should I read for a total beginner?

Pages: 12
I'm gonna start my video game development degree in 2 months, and I got hold a few C++ books to read to prepare myself for the degree. Which book you guys think is best for my degree? I got C++ through game programming by Michael Dawson, C++.com's very own tutorial, and C++ a beginner's guide by Herbert Schildt. Or you guys can suggest other books or things to do?Tq
i like Herbert Shildt , i read through "The Complete Reference C++ Fourth Edition" it's $55 but if you're hard on money you can (cough...torrent download) for free ANY book you like.

EDIT 1: nevermind mind me , i didnt read your post carefully. Not sure which would be best for game programming.
Last edited on
I guess something about Direct X or Open GL? The truth is though you will find more than adequate resources here on the internet
You should read the C++ Primer. It's not specific to game programming, however you need some solid basics before you start with that. In theory, it would be possible to start learning C++ through game programming right away, however as far as I'm aware, there are no good beginner books in that area. It's not particularly surprising - highly competent C++ authors wouldn't want to artificially restrict their target audience by making game programming the main topic of their C++ book.

Better to stay away from any Herbert Schildt books - especially his C++ books are considered to be of rather poor quality.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
Athar wrote:
You should read the C++ Primer. It's not specific to game programming, however you need some solid basics before you start with that.
+1
Better to stay away from any Herbert Schildt books - especially his C++ books are considered to be of rather poor quality.

Hmmm... when you say poor quality are you referring to the material he covered in his book? They are not comprehensive or simply erroneous ?

Personally I found his book to be not comprehensive enough but looking at the topics he cover, I think he does know C++ basics, it could be his writing skills and example programs that let him down. For ppl who want quick bites (those Sams Publishing xxx in 24 hours title etc), his book will suffice but not thorough though.

I was lucky I start off with C++ Primer by Stanley Lippmann and it is comprehensive but I would want him to focus more on C++ STL instead. Or maybe C++ STL is a big topic that it deserves it's own book instead.
Last edited on
If you want to, try something like game programming all in one with one of those books. If you know a language already try accelerated c++. These books will really put you ahead in your classes.

If you don't want to read two books, try beginning game programming. Although I cannot vouch for these books at all. Just heard about them.

haha, you must of dled these books. I don't see you spending dough like taht and then suggesting books.
Last edited on
Although a lot of Windows games are developed in C++, it does not mean C++ cannot be used elsewhere. High frequency trading systems, simulation systems, military-related systems, betting systems etc etc. When high performance is required dictated by business needs, C++ is still the choice.

But what I see in this forum is most C++ developers are in it because they want to develop games. Nothing wrong but just find C++ attracts game programmers only which is certainly not true. Let there be other purposes for C++ besides just game programming.
i like samms c++ in 21 days(dont rush to do it in 21 days) but it explains alot and gives you things to do
Jeez. C++ in 21 days (if its author is Liberty) is the worst C++ book that I know.
I've written a few rants about it over the years, if you care to search.
Obligatory reading: http://norvig.com/21-days.html
Jeez. C++ in 21 days (if its author is Liberty) is the worst C++ book that I know.
I've written a few rants about it over the years, if you care to search.

i would be up to search why dont u like it for me it has always seemed great
wow i googled they realy trashed my book im going to down i mean buy a new one now but what should i get i already finished the tut on yhis site
So, Michael Dawson's C++ through game programming is ok to start with? And is C++ primer hard to understand? Because I have absolutely no experience in any programming language.
Last edited on
they say u shouldnt read a book totaly made for game programming first read a normal c++ book
There's C++ primer and C++ primer plus, what's the difference?
They're different books unrelated to each other.
I mean the C++ Primer by Lippman, Lajoie, Moo, etc.
I always thought of reading C++ for dummies, is it any good?
he is a begginer i suppose but i read the tut do i still ger c++ primer or do i get primer plus and i see another version of sams its Teach Yourself C++ in One Hour a Day, 6th Edition.any veiws on that?
C++ for dummies (i cant remember the name of the guy) but it was the latest version ....is horrible...the guy acted as if you already knew certain things and doesnt explain what he is doing , he jumps from one thing to another and lost me several times to the point where i returned the book cuz i couldnt get anything from it. the examples were REALLY BAD, ( had many errors that i caught after i knew more about it) and typos in code to a newbie are devastating. every example changed making it hard for me to follow him.

sams teach yourself C++ in 24 (i couldnt say about the 6th edition) i have the 5th,ive only read half of it then moved on to a different book (but that doesnt mean i didnt like it) cuz i do that with every book that looses me and i jump to a different book that explains it more "for me" (in a way that i eventually understand) the bad is its broad description, it doesnt go in depth, but a general overview ...one good thing i liked about their examples is that they continued on the same example expanding on it(and made it a lot easier for me to understand) i actually couldnt grasp how to use classes from numerous books, and learned it from this book , then after i got the idea i moved to a different book that went more in depth.

The Complete Reference C++ Fourth Edition by Herbert Shildt seems a lot more in depth , but the way he words things makes it hard to understand, i treat it as a hard copy dictionary for C++ ...reading it though is like reading a dictionary

but i would say that the place where c++ was best explain are these forums...different people learn things different ways in different words and what best place to aid learning than a place with people that have so many different aspects of learning (in which at least one response to a question would ring a bell)

@Athar what other books you recommend in addition to C++ Primer?
Last edited on
Pages: 12