Which book should I read for a total beginner?

Pages: 12
i think I'll start with C++.com's tutorial first, it's short and simple.
I take it you've also checked your course's site for a reading list? And the syllabus for the first year?

(A quick google for "computer game degree reading list" and I found one degree which was using C# for the first year, only switching to C++ in year two. No idea how common this is.)
Last edited on
We used the text by GADDIS - that was about a year ago. It's massive but quite thorough,
and it takes you thru topics incrementally. One thing I noticed was that the first several
chapters were very "C"-like, with a lot of the concepts regarding OOP (the real "meat" of C++)only being introduced much later later.

Oh, yes. It is expensive. I paid about $130 for my copy. You can search for a copy on Amazon; it may be a bit cheaper there.
withouut going through the first 10 pages of c++ primer 4th edition i could tell i had to have some kind of prior programming background to get everything he is saying. good choice start with this tut first im going to read it though as i do have prior knowlage butfor the totall noob i would defend sams over primer
I couldn't find a reading list but I have to learn C programming in year 1, then C++ in year 2. So should I read C programming books first?
c++ primer may seem difficult because c++ primer plus was meant to be read before it and is a beginners book. read primer plus and then read primer.
The naming is so confusing. Usually when you have a word Plus we would assume it means more than one without Plus isn't it ? So going by logical reason, I would think read C++ Primer finish already want to know more go for C++ Primer Plus.

Unfortunately the author of the Plus name it as C++ Primer Plus which can confuse readers. I don't know who publish first but if say C++ Primer is first to be published than try not to name it as C++ Primer Plus unless you are also the same author of C++ Primer?

Although I guess book title has no copyrights, common courtesy would mean try not to be too close lest it confuse readers.
Hey PPL What About The Dietle n Dietle Book For C++. No One Has Recommended It. But I Think That Book Is Very Good.
Dietel & Dietel I only read for their Java book. I don't know they are good at C++ also? Hmmm...
Oh No. I Hate Their Big Books In The Beginning. But Now I Know Whats Inside .It Think That Is The Best Book For C++ For Beginners.
Programming Principles and Practice by Bjarne Stroustrup

I found this to be an excellent book, but I had some prior programming experience when starting this book. You should really just read some of the Amazon reviews to see if this book is fit for you.. It also teaches C language features and dedicates an entire chapter to C at the end of the book, which would be good for you.
Programming Principles and Practice by Bjarne Stroustrup

E book
http://ebookee.org/Programming-Principles-and-Practice-Using-C-Bjarne-Stroustrup-_498763.html

It Is Good But Bit Stranded. Some Things Are Difficult To Understand For The Beginners.
Last edited on
+1 to Programming Principles and Practice by Bjarne Stroustrup

He does move really fast once he gets into the calculator app but if you can hang on it will give you a lot of bang for the buck. I think most beginners would be ready for it after going through all the tutorials on this site (or equivalent beginner book). And, of course, it's written by the creator of C++.
I have to learn C programming in year 1, then C++ in year 2

In that case, you might be interested in reading the Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie (aka K&R) book: The C Programming Language.

It's a nice and short book, compared to some modern books, and will give what to definitely need for your first year.

You should have time left over to start on C++, too!
Last edited on
Woah, the K&R book is really old,it's from 1988, is it missing a lot of things?
:-)

The core of the C language hasn't changed. Features have been added, but these are best picked up once you have a good grasp of the basics. This is still the book to start with.

A pretty typical kind of quote:

The C Programming Language (2nd Edition)

by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie

Commonly referred to as just K&R, this is the canonical C reference book. It’s to the point without being too terse; it is detailed enough for a beginner to understand without being bloated. K&R tells you exactly what you need. Nothing more, nothing less. At 274 pages this is one of the most compact languages references you will find. I dare a Java author to come up with something so sweetly concise.

http://grokcode.com/11/the-top-9-in-a-hackers-bookshelf/

Andy

P.S. You might also be interested in: The C Answer Book: Solutions to the Exercises in 'The C Programming Language,' Clovis L. Tondo and Scott E. Gimpel

P.P.S. For an overview of the evolution of C, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_C
Last edited on
Ok thx guys I'll read up K&R first, then I'll consider the few C++ books you guys mentioned.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12