{
	short v[2];
};

struct VertexInfo
{
	Vertex* vertex;
	int _vertexCount;
};

I create an instance of Vertex info within a function and save the pointer in a global(batch).

VertexInfo* batch = new VertexInfo;

Now here is my question...

When I allocate a dynamic array in batch->vertex and at a later point delete batch, does that mean that the array(within batch) 'vertex' is freed also(since its a child of batch)?

Or do I have to delete vertex first, then delete batch?

Many thanks for any advice,

Softy.
Last edited on
You have to delete vertex first, then batch. C++ does not handle your deletes so whenever you declare space of the heap, you better delete it somewhere, no matter how deep the allocation is in your structures.
So, even though VertexInfo has been put on the heap, I have to iterate any pointers within VertexInfo that have been allocated memory too? I assumed that if a parent on the heap gets deleted, then all child structures would too? I think I may be expecting too much from the heap manager.

Please excuse me for reiterating my question as I am trying to clear it up in my own head.

Softy.
Last edited on
Nah, it's not that easy in C++. There is ZERO garbage cleanup. Every single bit of memory you allocate in the heap needs to be explicitly deleted somewhere.
If you're serious about learning C++, stop using 'new' unnecessarily:

#include <vector>
struct Vertex
{
    short v[2];
};
struct VertexInfo
{
    std::vector<Vertex> vertex;
    VertexInfo(std::size_t initial_size) : vertex(initial_size) {}
};

int main()
{
    VertexInfo batch(10);
} // batch is deleted, and every vertex is deleted as well. 
Last edited on
Very clear now IceThatJaw, thank you. :)

@Cubbi:
I am restricted to dynamic data structures due to a restriction of the problem I am trying to solve with inline c++ using GLBasic.

I must say that I am enjoying learning c++ more than I expected.

Thanks again for all you help guys!

Softy.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.