GUI for beginners

Hi, I have to write a two player chess game for school and if my partner and I implement GUI , we will get extra credit.
I was looking into allegro and .NET and was wondering if there is any GUI that is easy to learn and setup.
It doesn't need to be fancy. I wouldn't like to dabble in 3D or advanced graphics.
A simple 2D chess board and pieces will be satisfactory.
I'm using VS 2010 Express.

ps, I'm new to c++ and I've never used GUI before. Do you think completing this program with GUI is reasonable in about 2-3 weeks?

*Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section
Last edited on
Well, it should actually be really simple for the graphics because you want to have a bitmap for all the pieces (pawn, rook, bishop, Knight, Queen, and King) and of course the board (white square, black square). I wouldn't even get too complicated with it, into a back buffer the chess board and then draw the pieces on top based on the current board setup.

So you would focus more so on WM_PAINT and using that instead of anything else. Another way would be to create static windows for each board spot with a background color of black or white, then draw on it if you have a piece there but that might be too much for something this simple.

Like I said, I would focus in on using WM_PAINT and drawing the bitmaps on fixed locations.
Agreed with William, but just so you know WM_PAINT is NOT C++ it is Windows API. So therefore you need to #include <windows.h> when using anything Win API.
I'm sure if OP knows what WM_PAINT is, he know's how to use Win32 :D
Though now that I actually read it, he says he hasn't done any GUI. So OP, I'd go check out MSDN and follow their tutorial for creating a window and make sure you understand the functions going into it. Spend a night on that, and then you should be good to using the rest of the API to design your GUI
A few days ago I knew nothing about Win32 and I've been studying pretty hard since then. I have to say, I don't think I could make a chess game in 2-3 weeks.

But, it is extra credit, so that makes me guess that you've at least been introduced to it.
Well, a chess game with no AI wouldn't be too bad. It's just the AI that would make it hard
well he said a two player game, so obviously AI is excluded.
Wait, why dive into Win32? I'd suggest you learn some SDL (or allegro or SFML).
Thank you very much for the responses!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.