Converting from MS Visual C++ 6.0 to Visual C++ 2010 express help please?

I have a computer science class this semester and I'm learning c++(and excelling rapidly, 100% mark in the class so far, I'm 1st in the class but the grade 11 class is only about 10 students) and using Microsoft Visual c++ 6.0. I know how to do the basics (compile, run, etc.) but c++ 2010 is like an alien program to me. I tried to download 6.0 on my laptop but it doesn't like to work on windows 7(It said it has known compatibility issues when installing so I'm not surprised). I just need to learn how to use visual 2010 so I can play around at home, anybody willing to help I will greatly appreciate it.

Also, I'm new to this forum and I hope I can learn from everybody here. Maybe in the later months I can be the one helping people, I take a large interest in c++(or coding in general, but all I know is c++ and I'm taking a c++ class so there's no point in using a different language right now).
Last edited on
What problems are you having?
There is really no much differences between 6.0 & 2010 (If only compile, run, etc.)
After you install, the program will set your program environment at its first start.(I`m C++ also)
To build a project, check your edit bar.
File -> New -> Project -> Next -> Finish(remember to build an empty one)
And you will see 3 file folders in your Solution Explorer.( External Dependences, Header Files, Resource Files, Source Files)
Right click on Resource and add your item.(.cpp file)
right click -> add -> New Item -> .cpp(.h files are built in the Header File folder by the same way)
(don`t forget to set the default path of your file)

After you write a program.
#include <iostream> ... return 0;}

check your edit bar again.
Build -> Build Solution(your project linked)
Build -> Profiled Guided Optimization -> Run Instrumented/Optimized Application(run your program)

Will this be clear? Actually, after a period of time using VS 2010, I found it rather strong than 6.0. 6.0 always collapse.

And I got the Micro VS 2010 by microsoft student program. My university is just under this program. I also have a C++ class this semester.
If the VS 2010 IDE is not helping you, switch to a different IDE. It's a tool meant to help you; when it gets in the way, use a different tool.
thanks that is helping quite a bit, but i tried to write a simple cout program and it says that cout is an undeclared identifier, has something changed? I wrote it exactly as i would at school.
#include <iostream>
int main()
{
	cout << "Hello world";
	return 0;
}

edit: i changed it to printf(although i prefer cout) and it works, but not i can't find how to run it...
Last edited on
I wrote it exactly as i would at school.

That's unfortunate. Your school must be teaching C++ from before 1998. C++ uses namespaces.

It's common at your level to stick

using namespace std; into the code, like this:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
	cout << "Hello world";
	return 0;
}

Doing it this way is not too damaging with code of this complexity, although take note that if you stick using namespace std; into your header files, one day someone will be very angry with you when they have to use one of your header files.
thanks moschops i'll keep that in mind, but i still don't know how to run my program... i think it would be easier to find a different program
Code::Blocks is quite popular.

Bloodshed Dev-Cpp is bad bad bad.
Last edited on
okay thank you, i'll give code::blocks a try.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.