openGL + Freeglut troubles

so I've pretty much finished console application programming and it's a lot of fun, but I've been trying to find out how to start doing graphics and window applications or window overlays that run on top of another programs display. So I looked around and found glut and saw it hasn't been updated since 2001 so I found something called freeglut which was updated this year being I want to develop with current tools and use openGL instead of directX as I wouldn't even be able to start with the most current release because I don't have windows vista+.
This being the best tutorial or guide I could find I followed these directions http://surflab.cise.ufl.edu/wiki/Getting_Started_with_OpenGL_in_VisualC%2B%2B_2010#Install_FreeGLUT
I downloaded extracted and placed the files in the correct spots
but came to my first problem that I'm even aware of which is, the sample code link which he has is invalid.
I really want to start programming applications with Gui's and graphics and I want to use the most up to date tools that would be best for a developer and I thought openGL and freeglut were the best options, am I wrong? I can't even get it to work and can't find any clear information on how to set it up.
I'm using windows XP with microsoft Visual C++ 2010 express.
Should I just use SDL?
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

You may want to try to ask your question in the "general C++ programming" forum - I know you're talking about starting out with OpenGL - but that's not really regarded as beginner material any more.

Just to improve your chances of getting a good answer :)

All the best,
NwN
Thank you, NwN.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.