Some help with tutorials(c++) please.

When I looked at the excercises for beginners(http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/12974/) I discovered some points that do not exist in the tutorial on this page(the pdf http://www.cplusplus.com/files/tutorial.pdf).

• pseudo random number generation
• strings & string functions
• sorting
• recursion

Now, since I have basically completed with the pdf tutorial. I have few questions. Is there a tutorial to go with, after I've completed the pdf tutorial or should I decide, search and learn specofoc topics I need to learn instead of learning longer guides, which cover more topics?(If there are any longer guides to continue with, which ones?) Are the books really necessary?(If yes, are there any free and good ebooks?)

Some information you may need to know:
-My programming experience before starting with c++ are close to zero(I did make few "programs" in AutoIt to start some video games for my little brother.)

-I'm planning to study c++ for this summer and for the coming schoolyear to make a packet bot or at least start to learn how to make one in the next summer.
(Want to actually understand what's happening instead of copying bunch of source codes)

Thank you for reading those somewhat long and tedious lines... I just want to learn the language properly.
Last edited on
No, you don't need to get any books. I personally recommend it. But, that's just preference and can be argued either way. I just think books tend to get more in depth with topics.

But the truth here is, you can read tutorials and books all your life. If you want to learn, you just have to get out there and program. It sounds like you should have a basic grasp of the language, so just sit down and make something. And shoot for a little higher than you think you can do. This way you'll end up naturally looking for solutions, and you'll learn more of the language, and get a feel for how to program.
I've always learned first and then programmed without watching the tutorial again, since I considered it as cheating.

But it's the exact opposite?(e.g. I'm reading and not fully understanding, but learn it by using it.)

So, basically what you're saying, no novice tutorials are needed after the basic one and that I learn the things I need to know by creating programs and aiming higher. How exactly am I going to end up with a packet based bot?(Some guidance is still needed, right?)
Well, C++ wasn't designed with networking in mind. But, there are libraries out there for it. I think one is WinSock for windows. I personally don't dabble in network programming.
Well, C++ wasn't designed with networking in mind. But, there are libraries out there for it. I think one is WinSock for windows. I personally don't dabble in network programming.

The Berkley socket API says otherwise. ; )
I didn't say you can't do networking with c++, just that there is no standard governing it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.