List of Topics/Techniques Important to C++ programming

I was wondering if a few people with a lot of experience with C++, including maybe some practical real-world application experience, could list some or all of the topics and techniques important to good C++ use. And here I don't mean things like type-casting and iteration, I mean big features and specific features. This is really just for me to use as a reference as I continue learning, so I would really appreciate any input you guys can give.

So far I have learned the following:
------------------------------------
Modularizing through functions
Classes and objects
Inheritance and polymorphism (somewhat, still not sure how to apply this practically)
Dynamic Memory usage and the freeing of used dynamic memory
References and pointers and the differences between them
Structures (these are just classes with no functions right? Although they can have functions in C++ people tend not to do that)
Enumerations
Vectors (containers)
Algorithms (STL) ^^

I think that about wraps up anything. Basic programming principles I already know are:
------------------------------------
Iteration, selection, string handling, encapsulation, arrays (single and multi dimensional).
Hi ellondu,

There is heaps of info in the reference section on this site, Google is your best friend.

As for proper real world examples, they might be a bit harder to come by
I am not an experienced c++ programmer but from what I understand data structures is an important concept. These could include linked lists, doubly linked lists, different types of trees (avl, red-black, regular ole binary trees), and associative containers such as maps. Searches and sorts are a sub-category of this which are also very important. Anyway, hope what little I have to offer helps.
closed account (zb0S216C)
Concurrency (multi-threading) - a subject that every serious programmer should know.

Wazzak
Last edited on
I belive Virtual classes is a important stage of developing a program maybe should just be in classes
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.