Uses of C++

First of all, hello, this is my first post at these forums.

I am learning the C++ syntax and its OOP at the moment. It is my first non-game specific programming language. What I want to know is if my time has been invested properly into learning a substantial computing language. What can C++ do for me, exactly? The reason I started learning C++ was so that I could manipulate information stored in text files, and send information to running processes. How many uses are there for C++?

Is an API a library that offers new functions, written by the creator of that application for user modification - in that case a kind of SDK?

How would one use C++ to interact with windows - create files, folders, open files and text files, manipulate their string data, delete files, write installers and uninstallers etc. Is there an API or windows interface?

Can you use C++ to send commands through networking to a server? Or is that the functionality of another, specialized language?

How versatile is the language? Can you use it for networking, OS manipulation, game development, installers, 3D software, websites, viruses, security software etc?
C++ can give you direct control of the processor. As such, it can be used for everything.
How many uses are there for C++?

Limited only by your skill and imagination.

Is an API a library that offers new functions, written by the creator of that application for user modification - in that case a kind of SDK?

Yes.

How would one use C++ to interact with windows

Microsoft offers a C++ class library called MFC which simplifies interfacing with Windows. A number of other libraries are also available.

Can you use C++ to send commands through networking to a server?

Libraries are readily available to do this.

Can you use it for networking, OS manipulation, game development, installers, 3D software, websites, viruses, security software etc?

All of the above.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.