c++ n00b woes

hello as a newbie to C++ I was wondering and I know this gets debated alot what the big war between C++ and c is all about.

I have been googling this for ages and alot of the answers seem to be coming from non C++ programmers or programmers who migrated to c after deciding C++ was no good for them.

When I was at school I tried to learn C++ and found it very difficult. Now that im a little older I find it alot eaiser to understand.

I was reading through some very old threads wheras big names like Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman criticize C++ and that seems to be talked alot about by blowhards everywhere.

I cant talk cos Im not a programmer but this is confusing to me how people say things like C++ isn't very portable across systems etc.

I also understand that c is used for specific reasons but now that i've decided that c++ is what I want to learn I dont get what major programs someone would write in C++.

Also people have said that C++ is not a true object orientated language and its just a object based language. What does that even mean cos the books that I have on C++ all say that it is a object orientated language.....

ditto I dont know what the F*** im on about but im trying to learn.

What will make me a good C++ programmer and what books would anyone here recommend.

What programs I will write in C++ I do not know and I know that is going to be the hardest thing as a hobbist programmer to figure out, one other question here is what kind of programs CAN I write in C++ that I couldn't write in c and vice versa.

I'm finding C++ very easy to understand at the moment so I wont be changing to another language anytime soon but any help is greatly appreciated.

Understanding why C++ programmers use the language will help my confidence with this massive learning curve as I know no other langauge and dont really plan on learning anything else till after I've learnt C++ although I know I should start maybe with c or something I dont know I just like C++.

I dont just want to learn C++ I want to learn to use it properly so I dont become one of those programmers that just writes junk that cant be properly maintained or ported etc etc, ie I dont want to be a halfway C++ person who writes code that will be useless in 6 months time due to some problem.

so yeah just any books that anyone can recommend.

Also what big software companys use c++ for major worldwide programs and what are those programs.

Thanks heaps for your time of day.

:)

Greetings btw I hope to frequent here alot as I dont see many c++ forums around just dedicated to C++.

Last edited on
I was wondering and I know this gets debated alot what the big war between C++ and c is all about.

It's not that big a deal at all. This debate has mostly died off. If anything, C++ vs. Java vs. C# is the "hot topic" right now. And furthermore, stay away from those arguments: nothing good comes out of them.

C++ isn't very portable across systems etc.

Depending on how you use it, C++ can be just as portable as C.

Also people have said that C++ is not a true object orientated language and its just a object based language. What does that even mean cos the books that I have on C++ all say that it is a object orientated language.....

The only language I've ever heard called "object based" is JavaScript.

When people criticize C++ for not being a true object oriented language what they're getting at is that C++ is not purely Object Oriented (it supports other paradigms, including OOP) like a language like Java is (where everything is part of a class, and everything asides from primitive types is an object).

What will make me a good C++ programmer and what books would anyone here recommend.

Books like The C++ Primer, Code Complete (which is not strictly for C++ programmers) and pretty much anything by Andrei Alexandrescu should be a good start (there are many, many more).

What programs I will write in C++ I do not know and I know that is going to be the hardest thing as a hobbist programmer to figure out, one other question here is what kind of programs CAN I write in C++ that I couldn't write in c and vice versa.

Honestly, pretty much anything. C++ isn't called a general purpose programming language for nothing: the possibilities are pretty much limitless.

Understanding why C++ programmers use the language will help my confidence with this massive learning curve as I know no other langauge and dont really plan on learning anything else till after I've learnt C++ although I know I should start maybe with c or something I dont know I just like C++.

I can't speak for everyone, but I use C++ because it's fast, relatively portable, supports a lot of paradigms and isn't exceedingly difficult to program in (development times aren't too high).

Also, I wouldn't recommend starting with C. It's a difficult first language.

Also what big software companys use c++ for major worldwide programs and what are those programs.

Most modern games are made in C++ (so most game companies). Programs like Skype, Microsoft Office (I believe, don't hold me to that) and a hell of a lot more were also made with C++.
Last edited on
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

As to your question on books:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

As to your question on software, another good example is Adobe - they use C++ for programs like Photoshop.
Parts of the windows operating system (and most of the Haiku operating system) are also written in C++, to go even more low level.
On a different note, C++ is also used in writing air plane entertainment systems for instance, to show you how versatile it is.

All the best,
NwN
I don't know if this is a troll thread... but if it is, you could at least make it a troll thread to the end, by editing it and moving it to the Lounge section, where more people may take part in the discussion.

C++ is a low-level language that tries to support high level paradigms.
And you either understand the implications of that, or go read some more literature until you do.
not a troll thread im a newbie here and i tried to be polite unlike you, you are just rude as

movin on:

thank you NwN
Last edited on
And this is why I usually disable PM's.
yeah dont write in my threads ever ok i dont like rude people,

ur a troll cos you talk shit aye

eat a dick ya loser

And this is why I usually disable PM's.
yeah dont write in my threads ever ok i dont like rude people,

ur a troll cos you talk shit aye

eat a dick ya loser

Lol.
its hard not to pick back at ppl who are generally think the sun shines out of their own butt,
Sorry but.

thank you ascii
Last edited on
its hard not to pick back at ppl who are generally think the sun shines out of their own butt.

Sorry but its true.

What? I'm now sure this is a troll thread.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.