I can't use strings

Pages: 12
I'm a real beginner and I'm just learning the very basics. So while I was studying from this website's documentation, I found out that my compiler(Turbo C++ v3.0, that is) doesn't support strings. So how can I use strings? Does it need a higher software version? One other question, I see that in the tutorial, it includes the libraries like this:
#include<conio>
but in my case I have to write it like this so that it works:
#include<conio.h>
why is it so?
I'd really appreciate your answer:)
So how can I use strings?

Upgrading to a compiler that isn't 50 years old would be a good start.

One other question, I see that in the tutorial, it includes the libraries like this:

Standard C++ headers do not have an extension, all other headers generally do.
Neither conio nor conio.h is a standard header, though.
Last edited on
I get your point. So, what compiler do you recommend? I don't have any special purposes(I mean like business, etc) I'm simply trying to learn a language to start with.
g++ is a safe choice on all platforms.
There's a variety of IDEs such as Code::Blocks that you can use it with.
So you don't recommend C++?
g++ is the GNU C++ compiler.
He said it was a safe choice, not necessarily a good one.

Of course, I am not going to say what he meant, but I would recommend c++ if for no other reason than that there are more sites that I have found dedicated to c++ than anything else (excepting java and HTML). The sheer volume of the tutorials makes it easier, in my humble opinion, to learn.
I know I shouldn't probably ask this here but if I choose C++, what version do you recommend? The latest software in Borland website is C++ Builder(clearly stating that they no longer support Turbo C). Do you think it's a good choice?
C++Builder is an excellent choice if you're looking to develop Windows GUI applications, but it isn't cheap.
I'm not actually looking to develop anything. As I said, I'm just trying to learn some programming. But maybe later I will choose to do some serious stuff.
C++ doesn't exactly have versions, compilers have versions. The latest verions is C++11, so your compiler should be able to use that. To test your compiler, copy/paste the code from here:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/array/operator%5B%5D/

If you just want to have some quick fun, I would recommend Visual Studio Express.
Not really "quick fun" because I want to learn something for my future. By the way, I'm a high school student.
Express is free and up to date so you don't have to worry about nonsense, that's all I'm saying. My school gave me professional for free, but I use a Mingw32 compiler from code I've made in Notepad++ for things that I'm more confident with (or don't want to open up a huge platform just to test code I post here). I also write C which has to be compiled on my school's UNIX server, and VS wasn't being particularly helpful for this.
Last edited on
hey how did you end to have turbo c++ 3 as compiler?!?!
Two of the best free compilers around the internet:

Option 1: http://sourceforge.net/projects/orwelldevcpp/
Option 2: http://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/

Choose one, download it, install it, use it. Then come back and tell us the results.
Last edited on
Both of those are IDEs. They use GCC as the default compiler.
Last edited on
Whatever, they still have a recent compiler with the best IDEs ever
samrux wrote:
the best IDEs ever
That's a matter of opinion, I prefer Visual Studio and Eclipse.
hey how did you end to have turbo c++ 3 as compiler?!?!

Well I actually had it from a long time ago and I didn't think(for no logical reason!) I might need a newer compiler!
If you have windows, Visual Studio is a good choice.
Pages: 12