Online Tutorial vs. Quality Book

We are having a debate on another forum and a member is telling me online tutorials are much better than books. Well, I disagree with him. Books go into more detail and in the end leave you with a stronger understanding of the language.

What do you guys think?
Books don't tell you every single detail as some youtubers do, and you can't tell a book to explain you something you don't understand.
Internet is better for me.
The authors of quality books actually know what they're talking about, which is generally not true for people who do YouTube tutorials and the like. The internet can "teach" you a lot of things, but you might end up realizing that it was nonsense a few years in.
A good book, no question. The internet is extremely useful as a supplement to a book for a beginner, for an experienced programmer the net alone could be sufficient. Video tutorials are NOT a good source for learning, a refresher perhaps, but not learning something new.
I think online tutorials are a great source of material to self teach. A problem is with code. Sometimes it is very useful to give code that is not finished for the learner to finish themselves. This can serve to greatly increase the interest of the assignments. It also gives an example of the structure of code that more experienced programmers use.

Although you may argue that you can have the programmer copy code from the book, I think it detracts from the experience, as it kills the feeling of easiness that comes with well structured code. Also it detracts any abstraction you might have.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.