simple paycheck program

hey i'm new to C++ and I am trying to write a simple paycheck program but do not know where to get started.

I am given:
payrate = $16.78/hr
overtime = 16.78*1.5/hr

For defined constants I am given:
SSN = gross pay * .06
Fed. tax = gross pay * 1.4
State tax = gross pay * .05

All I am looking for is how to set-up the program. any help is appreciated.
Im new to C++ also but you could probably start with an input for how many hours the user worked. Then check if it was over 40 using an if else statement and go from there. I think that would be a safe start. Hopefully this helps a little. Best regards, cwb
Another C++ newbie here. Your project sounded interesting so I tried it myself this morning. My biggest mistake was not assigning a float type to eliminate decimal place problems. Stupid me!

You mentioned most of the variables you'll need already in addition to what cwb said. You did not define what kind of output you're after. Depending on what you need or how you operate, I added on my program: gross pay, net pay, straight time hours, over time hours, total deductions. I need to add error checking & probably some other stuff to the program at another time.

I didn't do anything fancy with this program as some more experienced programmer might. You should be able to write the program if you have some basic knowledge of C++. Good luck!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.