Structures Help

Hi everyone, I am having trouble working with structs. The objective of the assignment is:

In Chapter 9, you were asked to write a program that keeps track of important birthdays.
Modify this program to store one person’s birthday information in a struct data type.
The struct should consist of two other structs: one struct to hold the person’s first
name and last name, and another to hold the date (day, month, and year).

Here is my code so far (messy) and I used the structure tutorial on this site:
/*In Chapter 9, you were asked to write a program that keeps track of important birthdays. 
Modify this program to store one person’s birthday information in a struct data type. 
The struct should consist of two other structs: one struct to hold the person’s first 
name and last name, and another to hold the date (day, month, and year). Consider including 
other information as well, such as a vector of strings with a list of possible gift ideas.*/

#include<iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

struct birthday 
	{
		string name;
		int day;
		int month;
		int year;
};

int main()
{
	int i=0;
	birthday person;
	int times;

cout<<"How many birthdays do you want to input?"<<endl;
	cin>>times;

for(i=0;i<times;i++)
	{
		cout<<"Enter person's first and last name: "<<endl;
		cin>>person[i].name;

cout<<"Enter day of birth(dd): "<<endl;
		cin>>person[i].day;

cout<<"Enter month of birth(mm): "<<endl;
		cin>>person[i].month;

cout<<"Enter year of birth(yyyy): "<<endl;
		cin>>person[i].year;
	}

}
Last edited on
You really don't state your problem. All your saying is your having problem with structs - then you post your assignment. No ones going to do your code for you but I'll refer you to this thread:

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/146508-struct-within-a-struct/
I got it to work; I didn't realize structs within a struct didn't translate to calling out multiple structs within the struct (mind-boggling). Here's what I did for anyone interested:

*deleted, bad code*
Last edited on
Isn't you assignemnt telling you to use two structs inside a main struct to hold the info? Or you don't care for that?
Last edited on
Hm, yeah you're right. Do you think you can give me an example how I can do that? I've tried looking everywhere but I can't seem to find use of structs within a struct. My program is also not turning up parts of information.. think I effed up something somewhere. Currently doing a rehaul of everything.
It's as simple as

struct Birthday
{
  struct ID
  {
    string firstName, lastName;
  } name; // we define how a struct ID looks like and also declare a variable of its type
  struct DMY
  {
    int day, month, year;
  } date; // same as above

/************************************************************
* Instead of declaring the variables right after the definition of the struct you
* can also do that later. Maybe to make the code look neater if you have
* more than one variable of that type
************************************************************/
// ID name;
// DMY date;
}

Note that you can also define the substruct outside the main struct. In this case only the second method of variable declaration can be used

struct ID
{
  string firstName, lastName;
};

struct DMY
{
  int day, month, year;
};

struct Birthday
{
  ID name;
  DMY date;
};
Last edited on
Just like maeriden posted. Did you look at my link? It gave you an example.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.