User defined function returns unexpected value

Hi, i'm new to programming and don't have much experience, but have decided to take a course at uni. We've been doing user defined functions and have got stuck on this one. Basically, the code compiles and runs, but it only returns a value of 1, no matter what i set the variables to. The problem is in the volcyl function. I've posted the code below:

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

//Function prototypes:

double volcyl(double radius, double height); //returns the volume of a cylinder

int main()
{
double radius = 1; //sets value of radius
double height = 1; //sets value of height
cout << "r h V" << endl;
cout << radius << " " << height << " " << volcyl << endl; //cout radius, height and volume of cylinder

return 0;
}

//Define function "volcyl" - calculates the volume of a cylinder

double volcyl(double radius, double height)
{
const double PI = 3.14159265359;

return (PI*pow(radius,2)*height);
}

It's probably a simple thing i've got wrong but i've been trying to get it to work for the last hour with no success. I've tried re-organising the code to no avail, and have had a good route round on the internet, for a solution but can't find one.

Like i said it's probably a simple problem but i can't figure it out, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced
The problem is that instead of calling the function you are trying to output its name that is impliciitly converted to bool value true.:)

Change

cout << radius << " " << height << " " << volcyl << endl; //cout radius, height and volume of cylinder

to

cout << radius << " " << height << " " << volcyl( radius, height ) << endl; //cout radius, height and volume of cylinder

Thanks, i knew it would be something simple, but i just couldn't find it. Thanks for your help :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.