Can Someone explain to me why?

Pages: 12
You already got the result after executing my example. Why are you asking again?!
Well, just to make certain I got my thinking correct. I'm in Chapter 16 of C++ for Dummies. I don't get an introduction to pointers until Chapter 17. Although I have a idea on what pointers do I don't know how to work them. I have another question but I'm going to start a new topic for that.
I don't like the sound of this - you've not been introduced to pointers, and yet you're working with character arrays?
That's right. I've been introduced to character arrays. It's been difficult to grasp. The author of the Dummies book shows an example that baffles me. I'm going to start a new topic for this.
I think the book title hints that only dummies would read it :(
when you create two same Jim, they have different adresses because of that you can not compare them as a same identity. It is not logical to computer.
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
I had a c++ for dummies book, it was not exactly for dummies! It was for people that wanted to learn all the concepts in no depth. The book sucked in my opinion, and you should start reading another book immediately! I bought C++ primer plus which is a way better book. (I can't remember were my c++ for dummies is now but i wont miss it)
As for me I did not read neither the C++ for dummies nor the C++ primer plus. I did not even read any one book from the very beginning to its end. Usually I read only the first 100 pages of any book.:)
Last edited on
C++ Primer Plus is also a bad book. It is written by a different author than C++ Primer and is not in any way a plus compared to C++ Primer. It's unfortunate that it got published with a name that suggests it is superior to C++ Primer.
@L B
C++ Primer Plus is also a bad book

Does it mean that we shoild wait until C++Primer Plus Plus will be published? :)
Haha. Until I got the joke I was actually typing a response...
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
In my opinion it is a great book, not because you learn so fast but so indepth compared to the c++ for dummies. I noticed that there is more than one c++ for dummies book on amazon so you might have the better edition for all I know. I have the c++ primer plus sixth edition that came out not too long ago :) The sixth edition includes good coverage for 2011 c++ and even though I am not very far in, I can tell you that they went through alot of work editing to the new standards.
Last edited on
You guys have to understand that no where on this planet will you find a greater programming moron than myself. I had to begin with The Complete Idiots Guide to C++. It would be easier to teach to a chimpanzee to count. Both me and any teacher is in for a mountain of frustration. It was only through brute force that I managed to get this far and I'm damn proud of myself for it. I was born with a natural gift for art but at the cost of being a mathematics moron. Only until recently am I now grasping the basics of calculus (and loving it). Any teacher that assumes I can remember what a logarithm is and does (even though I just learned it last week) will be dismayed that I've forgotten it. Yet ask me to hum a tune I learned 50 years ago and I'll get it perfectly right. I can't help it, my brain is just wired that way. Struggling for every inch of programming gain is as painful as lugging one's own cross to their own crucifixion (for me anyway). Vlad has done more for me in one day than the Dummies book has done in a month (although Vlad seems too impatient to be a teacher). But don't think I don't appreciate your help. And in case anyone wants to know about photography or how to fly an airplane - I'm an instructor in both!
For as much as you'll probably need to know, logarithms are the opposite of exponents.

My brain is wired for math, but I too have a great memory for sound and music (sometimes it gets annoying; there is never, NEVER a time in my life where there isn't some music being played in my head).

I learn through theorems, laws, and guarantees. I know things via patterns, and if I don't see the pattern I cannot possible grasp it.

The human mind is an excellent pattern matching machine. Thankfully I pattern-matched my way to understanding math and programming pretty well.

Just look for a pattern, something you can rely on always behaving the same way. English is a horrid example, there are exceptions to the rules and then even the exceptions have exceptions. Math is a great example - the rules always work, and always the same way every time. If you have a way to plug data into a rule, you can solve a problem.

Don't try memorizing the patterns and rules - just go through each rule and solve a lot of problems using the rule, and you'll automatically get an understanding of the rule that works for you.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12