Iterating through directories

Hi,

I've got the following code, based on the example at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/07wt70x2.aspx

void ProcessDirectory( String^ targetDirectory )
{

if (Directory::Exists( targetDirectory )) {

printf("Directory : %s\n", targetDirectory);

// Recurse into subdirectories of this directory. 
		   array<String^>^subdirectoryEntries = Directory::GetDirectories( targetDirectory );
		   IEnumerator^ dirs = subdirectoryEntries->GetEnumerator();
		   while ( dirs->MoveNext() )
		   {
			  String^ subdirectory = safe_cast<String^>(dirs->Current);
			  ProcessDirectory( subdirectory );
		   }
   }
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{

ProcessDirectory( "C:\\" );

}

This should be (I reckoned) a simple recursive iteration through the directories on my hard drive, but it keeps crashing saying that paths are too long.

The reason they seem too long is that when it gets to Application Data, it starts repeating the Application Data directory name. The error is below, any help is very much appreciated, as I am stuck :( :

Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Dat
a\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Applicatio
n Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data
\Adobe\CameraRaw\Camera
Profiles\Camera\Canon EOS 1000D

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file na
me, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 ch
aracters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPath
Length)
at System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(String path)
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String origina
lUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`
1 resultHandler)
Last edited on
I printed them, and the only reason they seem to get long is the repetition of Application Data in the path.

Works fine for other directories, with an even deeper level of folders. It all works fine until it hits the Application Data folder.

Any ideas?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.