Pointer function to member function of pointer to class

Hello all! I have been experimenting with function pointers, and have run into a problem. I was planning on using them as handlers for a button class. The guide I was using (http://www.newty.de/fpt/index.html) explains how to create pointers to member functions, but not pointers to member functions of pointer class (pclass->mfunction). Here is the relevant code:

Typedef for function pointer to pointer class
typedef void (*Game::*pVoidPointer)();

Button class taking function pointer:
Button::Button(POINT a_origin, POINT a_size, UINT a_Bitmap, BOOL a_visible, pVoidPointer funcHandler, HDC hDC)
{
  m_origin   = a_origin;
  m_size     = a_size;
  m_pBitmap  = new Bitmap(hDC, a_Bitmap, _hInstance);
  m_visible  = a_visible;

cout << "Button Created at " << m_origin.x << ", " << m_origin.y << endl;
}

Assignment of class:
_pWarGame = new Game();

Assignment of button:
  _pStartGame = new Button(POINT_make(_pGame->GetWidth() / 2 - 60, _pGame->GetHeight() / 2 - 40),
                            POINT_make(120, 80), IDB_WARSTART, TRUE, hDC, &_pWarGame::*game_initialize);

The code erroring is the assignment of the button where it sends the pointer to the member function ( &_pWarGame::*game_initialize);)

If anybody could provide tips as to how to use a function pointer to a member function of a pointer to a class, please let me know!

Also, if any more code needs to be provided to get a more complete picture of the problem, or if anything needs explaining, don't hesitate to ask.
I'm not sure if this is causing your problem but in your constructor implementation, your last two parameters are pVoidPointer, HDC

And when you create a new button the last two parameters you send it are HDC, pVoidPointer.

It looks like they're switched in order.
Last edited on
"pointers to member functions of pointer class" is not a concept: raw pointer types do not have member functions. Classes do. A member function of a class to which you hold a pointer is no different from a member function of that class in any other context.

This pVoidPointer is a pointer to a data member of class Game, and that data member is a pointer to a non-member function that takes no args and returns void:

#include <iostream>

void fun() { std::cout << "called\n"; }

struct Game
{
    void (*fptr)();
};

int main()
{
    pVoidPointer ptr = &Game::fptr; // this is how you can initialize it

Game g;
    g.fptr = fun;

(g.*ptr)(); // calls fun()
}

demo: http://ideone.com/weX2Du
Last edited on
Thank you both, I had the arguments out of order as well as not understanding what I was trying to do. I will apply this and see how it turns out. Thanks again!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.