any suggestions

so i want to get into security programming. i have about a year and a half of C++ experience(some vb 6 and python too) and i have started a very basic security program. i want to somehow manage to create a folder lock type program. so if any one could provide answers to the following questions below i would be grateful,thanks...

1.) Is there any programming langauge that is better for security programming?
2.) where is the best place to go for learning encryption/decryption programming(and don't say "google it"!!!!!)?
3.) Can you tell me specific things that i need to be proficient with or absolutly have to know before trying anything like this?

any additional information that you thing i should know would be helpful.
Last edited on
A great cryptography library is Crypto++.
so i took a look at insecure.org and even the basics seem to go over my head.hehehe

so i guess i'm not going to find a strait out tutorial for learning security based programming.

so what exactly does Crypto++ do. I probably sound like a major noob(cause i am :P).

anyway thanks for the information.
The term 'security based programming' is such a broad topic that you aren't going to find anything that can cover it all. Just learning crypto is a pretty massive undertaking, as is network security.
The reason I suggested insecure.org is that it's a repository for literally hundreds of open source security tools, some simple and some complex. Find a simple one that has some of the features you are interested in. Learn how to use it, then download the source and check it out.
The best way to learn code is to read code
thats true. i have learned most of my code though reading, guessing, and testing before i ever using it in any larger programs or adapting it in any way. i have been searching for code to write a folder lock type program but i also don't want to look through tons of code from a huge program that i wont understand or have it spelled out for me.

i like to know what type of skills or coding techniques that are nessessary, learn them then figure the rest out for myself. i want to start off relying on other peoples work as little as possible.that is why i asked question 3 at the top, i was hoping to learn the technique then figure the rest out for myself.

anyway, yeah, i will keep looking...
What you are asking isn't so much programming skills as it is the knowledge of how to do what you want to do. Coding skills are things like understanding how to use templates or virtual functions.
true. i figure coding skills would come later through practice. do you think thats backwards? should i learn the stuff you mentioned above first before moving into such a large program?

then again, one reason i wanted a big project is so i could use up any spare time i have(which is alot, hahaha).
You can't learn either in a vacuum; you have to learn a little bit of both at the same time. I think you should pick something that does not require a lot of knowledge so that you can initially focus on programming skills. Without skills, writing a non-trivial program will be extremely hard.

I liken programming to learning to speak a new language. There are two aspects of learning a language: learning the words and learning the grammar. You can learn all you want about the grammar of the language, but if you know no words, you still can't speak it.

good analogy.lol all right thanks
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.