Book for someone coming from Java/C#

I am going through the tutorials here, but I see they end at IO steams. Ironically that is exactly where my C# and Java classes ended as well. Right now my school only teaches languages that are run through a VM so to learn to write anything with speed I have to go outside of class.

Does anyone know of a book that will not spend 500 pages explaining the simple stuff? I have picked up a book, but its for beginners, so I keep putting it down because I'm reading about loops, data types, and logical operators...Stuff that is pretty much the same across almost all languages. A quick refresher is one thing, but this is multiple 100's of pages on the subjects.

Also, really want to get in game/media programming, something that touches on those libraries would be a big plus.

Thanks in advance.

'Accelerated C++' by Koenig and Moo http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

Very compact - says a lot in as few pages as possible.
No C++11 features, though.
Cool amazon even has it for 20 bucks off. Thanks for the quick reply.

After the read through I should be able to just read the documentation to see what C++11 brings shouldn't I? Like the Java API?

On a side note, coming from Java makes read about other languages hard, just because you get so used to the documentation and stuff being well organized :P
Last edited on
> After the read through I should be able to just read the documentation to see what C++11 brings shouldn't I?

Yes. After the read through and doing some of the exercises in the book.

> just because you get so used to the documentation and stuff being well organized :P

This reference is reasonably well organized: http://en.cppreference.com/w/
However, it is just that - documentation. You would need more than just language/library documentation to become proficient in C++.
> However, it is just that - documentation. You would need more than just language/library
>documentation to become proficient in C++.
I meant after I read the book you suggested, reading the documentation to learn the changes from 10 to 11. Is there a major enough shift that I should be reading another book instead, or I can used what is taught in Accelerated C++ and apply it to C++11 as well?

Hope not, I already bought it :P
> I can used what is taught in Accelerated C++ and apply it to C++11 as well?

Of course you can. Everything taught in Accelerated C++ is still valid in C++11. The basic foundations of C++ have not changed in any way. You would be a very good C++11 programmer if you have just absorbed everything that Accelerated C++ tries to teach, and nothing else.

However, C++11 has things that are not covered in Accelerated C++ (The book was written before 2011). You can learn those later, gradually over a period; they won't invalidate the stuff that you had already picked up from Accelerated C++.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.