breaking a loop styles

Is it just preference to use an if:break, or while:condition?
Does it matter which you use in some circumstances or is it all just really programmers style? Is there any bad practice in using while (true) and an if condition to break the loop?

I see a lot of python programmers use the the second, while a lot of c++ programmers use the first. Is there a reason for this?

int y = 0;
	while (y != 12){
		cout << "while 2:Input 12 to break: " << endl;
		cin >> y;
	}

int x;
	while (true){
		cout << "while 1: Input 12 to break: " << endl;
		cin >> x;
		if (x == 12)
			break;
	}

Last edited on
For this particular case I would use the following loop

int x = 0;
do
{
   std::cout << "do-while 3: Input 12 to exit: ";
   std::cin >> x;
} while ( x != 12 );

Also take into account that there is a principal difference in your two loops. For the first loop the condition is known before entering the loop. However sometimes the expression in the condition can not be evaluated before entering the loop. In these cases you have to use the while ( true ) loop.
Last edited on
You can also use for loop statement. I prefer this one because its easy to understand and less lines of code.

for(int x=0;x!=12;)
{
}

@tvrameshmc
You can also use for loop statement. I prefer this one because its easy to understand and less lines of code.

for(int x=0;x!=12;)
{
} 

I am sure that this code only confuses a user.
@vlad from moscow
I am sure that this code only confuses a user.

Is this because of for loop execution process right?
Usually the for loop deals with some sequence where the next element of the secuence is gotten on the base of the previous element. For example

for ( int i = 0; i < 10; i++ ) { /*...*/ }

Here the next value of i is gotten on the base of the previous value of i by incrementing it.

Or another example

for ( Node *p = Head; p; p = p->next ) { /*...*/ }

Again the next pointer to a Node is gotten on the base of the previous pointer.

In the original post the next value used in the condition of the loop have nothing common with the previous value. So I would prefer to use the while loop.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.