Removing Punctuation From A String

Hi everybody,

Been coding C++ for about a week now haha, and have run in to a problem. I am working through a book and one of the exercises calls for reading a string that has punctuation marks in it and then printing the string, but without those punctuation marks.

Now, on using the string "Hello World!!!" (yes, indeed) and the following code I can succeed in printing "Hello World" which is great:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using std::string; using std::cout; using std::cin; using std::endl;

int main ()
{
    string s ("Hello World!!!");
    for (decltype(s.size()) index = 0;
         index != s.size() && !ispunct(s[index]); ++index)
        cout << s[index];
    return 0;
}

However, I got to thinking, what happens if one has a string that looks like "Hello, World!!!", or "Thi.s str&in$g is mess$ed up" how would I adapt the above code in order to return "Hello World" or "This string is messed up"?

Your help is appreciated!!
    for (decltype(s.size()) index = 0; index < s.size(); ++index)
        if (!ispunct(s[index]))
            cout << s[index];
I have not understood the question. As far as I know symbols & and $ also belong to punctuations.

EDIT: Oh, I see your problem.:)
You can use standard algorithm std:;copy_if

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <algorithm>
#include <iterator>

int main()
{
	std::string s( "Thi.s str&in$g is mess$ed up" );

std::copy_if( s.begin(), s.end(), std::ostream_iterator<char>( std::cout ),
		[]( char c ) { return ( !ispunct( c ) ); } );
	std::cout << std::endl;
}
Last edited on
Fantastic!! Really simple solution (as expected). It is taking me a little longer than expected to wrap my head around some of the code but with help like this I should get it soon.

I'd like to ask another question if I may. It is from the same exercise in the book and based on the Range-Based for: "Use range for to change all the characters in a string to X."

I coded the following which works, but I know is not correct:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using std::string; using std::cout; using std::cin; using std::endl;

int main ()
{
    string s ("Hello World!");
    for (auto &c : s)
        cout << "X";
    return 0;
}

It obviously changes everything to X, but it doesn't use the &c reference and just doesn't look correct.

Thanks!!
your original code does not compile for me, what software are you using ?
string s ( "Hello World!" );

for ( auto &c : s ) c = 'X';

cout << s << endl;
Hi Samuel, I am using Xcode...

Vlad, thanks a million! I think I can see where my problem was. I had tried to put the c = "X" not c = 'X', I got some error about incompatible types (one is string other is char).

This works perfectly. Can you explain why in single quotes it works but not with double quotes?

Thanks again!
Last edited on
c has type char. Character literals are enclosed in single quotes, for example 'A', 'B', and so on. So you can write c = 'A';

String literals have type const char[] in C++ You may not assign a variable of type char a string literal.
Last edited on
Oooooooohhhhhhhh! Ok, great, got it!! Such small things make such a big difference!
You could use a string literal if you would write the expression correctly. For example

for ( auto &c : s ) c = "X"[0];
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.