Find a char within a string, which is in a vector.

Hi all, I haven't done any C++ in a long while and I'm stuck. I can hardly remember anything I learnt about vectors...

I want to be able to search for a char within a string, which in turn, is inside a vector.

sVec strings;
sIter iter;

//Create a string for input.
std::string input;

//open a file to populate the vector.
std::ifstream iFile;
iFile.open( "VectorStrings.txt", std::ios::binary );

//Check if the file has opened.
if( iFile.is_open() )
{
	//Populate the vector
	/* Coded already */
}
else //iFile is NOT open
{
	std::cout << "Unable to open a file to populate the vector.\nExiting...\n";
	return;
}

//output a message to the user.
std::cout << "\n\nPlease enter a letter, to remove each word that contains it.\n";

//Get user input.
std::getline( std::cin, input, '\n' );

//Loop vector entrys.
for( iter = strings.begin(); iter != strings.end(); ++iter )
{		
	//Loop through each letter in the vector index.
	for( unsigned int i = 0; i < ( iter->length() - 1 ); ++i )
	{
		//Check for a match.
		if( input == iter[ i ] ) /* ERROR */
			std::cout << "Letter found\n";
	}
}

Above, on line 36, I only get an error when the last char is checked on the fourth vector index.

Below is the text file contents, that is populating the array.
Horse
Monitor
Bench
Cupboard //Error when 'd' is checked here.
Lamppost
Field
Watch
Running
Cloud
Building

Can anyone, please shed some light on why this error is/maybe happening? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Edit: Also, this doesn't actually work! Forgot to add that, ahaha. This doesn't actually come up with any matched chars.
Last edited on
What's the error?
Sorry, I was meant to add that too, lol.

Debug Assertion Failed.
Expression: vector iterator not dereferencable. 

Edit:
Also, are these two statements accessing the same char?

input == iter[ i ]
input == strings[ i ][ j ] /* I'm aware of the 'input = string'/'strings[ i ][ j ] = char' error.*/

i on the iter, being the char.
i on the strings vector, being the index and j being the char.
Last edited on
Try to change from iter[ i ] into (*iter)[ i ] And see the result.
Typically that means you're trying to access an invalid iterator. It could be invalid for a couple reasons; std::vector::push_back() got called and it made the vector move somewhere else, or you've gone too far.
iter isn't a pointer or an indexable container, you can't use iter[i] at all. If it happens to compile and access the first few letters of your strings, it's a side effect of how your compiler implements strings and vectors.

Edit: er, forgot that randomaccessiterators do have operator[] defined. Anyway, the rest of this answer holds:

The expression to access the ith character of the string referenced by iter is (*iter)[i]

It would help to see a complete, compilable program, to give useful advice at this point, if if you're really looking for a letter (code suggests otherwise), use the string member find, as in if(iter->find(letter) != string::npos)
Last edited on
EssGeEich's post fixed it! Thank you!!

And Resident, All the push_back()'s were done before the checks, so I was in no way changing the vector. Thanks for the help anyway! (:
Cubbi wrote:
iter isn't a pointer or an indexable container, you can't use iter[i] at all. If it happens to compile and access the first few letters of your strings, it's a side effect of how your compiler implements strings and vectors.

It is possible to use operator[] on random access iterators. iter[i] is the same as *(iter + i).
Peter87, iter is a pointer to the iterator (Or a iterator to the pointer? Lol). So you needed (*iter)[i]. Well I don't have the exact strings info I needed but it looks like I got the problem and the answer.

@Lynx876 No problem ^

At your question over, yeah it looks like it is the same, unless strings is a pointer-to-string vector which caused the error above (in a slightly different manner).
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.