returning a reference from a function?

hey, i have a question about returning a reference from functions.
It could be returning member function for classes, regular functions, class helperfunctions etc...

So is returning a reference just to speed up the program?
heres a short example:

int& x() //what if i didn't have &?
{
   int aa = 20;
   return aa;
}

int main()
{
   int a = x();
   return 0;
}
1. Passing primitive types by reference is actually slower than passing them by value
2. In your example, returning by reference does not keep aa alive - aa is destructed and a in main is assigned random memory from where aa used to be in memory.
You shouldn't return a reference in this case. aa is local inside the function and as soon as the function ends it will no longer exist. Line 9 tries to copy a non-existing object.

Big objects are often passed by reference and in some cases returned by reference to avoid copying it. Simple types like int are not costly to copy and passing it by reference is probably slower.

If you return a reference you have to make sure that the object stays alive after the function returns. If you have a member function that returns one of the member variables you can use references, but if you don't want the caller to be able to modify it you should make it a const reference.
Last edited on
Ahh ok. So if i do this:

class person{
public:
   person(int n):money(n){}

person& get(person& x);

int money;
};

person& person::get(person& x)
{
   if(this->money > x.money) return *this;
   else return x;
}

int main()
{
   person dude1(30);
   person dude2(50);

person dude3 = dude1.get(dude2);
   return 0;
}

In this case, dude3 is equal to dude2s values, but i dont really understand how it can = to a function that returns a reference.

Because returning a reference should be like that dude3 become dude2 and have the same adress, which is not true.

Wouldn't it be almost like saying:

int a = 20;
int &b = a;
int c = &b //ERROR

im kinda confused :P
You seem to have pointers and references confused.

Pointers:
int x = 7;
int *y = &x;

References:
int x = 7;
int &y (x);
int &z = x; //alternate form 

The reason dude3 does not have the same address is because dude3 is not a reference, it is its own person crated by copying the person returned by reference from get(). I think you meant this:

person &dude3 = dude1.get(dude2);

^
Last edited on
Hmm ok, but the only difference between returning a reference from the function and not returning reference from the function, is the speed of the program right?

btw thanks for help man, i really appreciate it
but the only difference between returning a reference from the function and not returning reference from the function, is the speed of the program right?

Isn't that a great reason to use references ?
Assassinbeast wrote:
Hmm ok, but the only difference between returning a reference from the function and not returning reference from the function, is the speed of the program right?
LB wrote:
1. Passing primitive types by reference is actually slower than passing them by value
2. In your example, returning by reference does not keep aa alive - aa is destructed and a in main is assigned random memory from where aa used to be in memory.
Peter87 wrote:
You shouldn't return a reference in this case. aa is local inside the function and as soon as the function ends it will no longer exist. Line 9 tries to copy a non-existing object.

soranz wrote:
Isn't that a great reason to use references ?
Passing primitives by reference is slower than passing them by value. Passing large things by reference, such as vectors and such with many elements, is beneficial.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.