what interesting and useful stuff a lonely c/c++ programmer can do ?

i am a hobbyist programmer looking mainly for fun (some cash is not bad tbh) , i have programmed before in VB6 ,c# and some c++. i realize that c/c++ is used heavily in programming operating systems/games...etc.i really like the idea of low level /high performance programming that is why i like c++. the problem is that programming these stuff require massive number of programmers , not something i can do alone.
closed account (L1AkoG1T)
Look for projects to do:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/78802-martyr2s-mega-project-ideas-list/
thankx.
i am not asking what projects to do ,but rather i am asking what platforms i can tackle with c/c++
essam Ganadily wrote:
i am not asking what projects to do
essam Ganadily wrote:

Could've fooled me.

essam Ganadily wrote:
i am asking what platforms i can tackle with c/c++

Any.
closed account (D4S8vCM9)
I would need help in writing a small QT-Gui for my (at the moment also more or less middle sized personal) project.
If you are interested, please contact me via PM.
If your looking to make games, SDL is a great starting point. Read LazyFoo's tutorials on it if that's what you want to do.
rogue RPGs and many 2D games can be done solo.

If you wish to do something bigger, there are many open source projects out there you can join and help.
Find an open source product you like, download the source code and write some improvement.

This way you can improve your C++ skills, contribute to a project and learn how to work in an actual distributed team environment with coding standards etc.
thank you.great suggestions.

can i program mobile games with c/c++ namely ios and android ?
closed account (D4S8vCM9)
Android is almost mainly Java, only low level apps and a jailbreak can help.
About iOS I know too less.
Due to lawyers and marketing departments and scam departments, most mobile platforms are designed to lock you to their company's programming language and programming environment. You might be able to do some C/C++ programming on them but it would be 'illegal' because you would actually be contributing to society for a change instead of contributing to that company's profits.
Last edited on
I would disagree. You can use C++ for android. There's also an Android compiler called c4droid with android libraries. You can also use C# for both android and Ios using Mono. If there is a will, there is a way!

but it would be 'illegal'

And there is nothing illegal in doing so...
Nothing illegal? Awesome! I was actually not aware of this, I'll have to check it out.
@LB god that post of yours was so wrong.

iOS is typically programmed with Objective-C,
Android with Java,

Both support C++ and have toolkits/sdks/compilers available for C++.
I've been misinformed by some friends who were raging at iOS and Android, sorry.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.