error: conversion from 'Multiplication*' to non-scalar type 'Multiplication' requested

I am trying to finish a program that calculates a simple multiplication using addition and recursivity.

I.e 3 *4 = 3+3+3+3

So I have made a class as follows:

class Multiplication
{
    private:
    int product;
    public:
    Multiplication() //constructor
    {
        product=0;
    }
    int CalculateMultip(int a, int b)
    {
        if(b!=0)
        {
            product=a+CalculateMultip(a,b-1);  //implements recursivity
        }
        return product;
    }
};

Now the main() program can compile if I take away the new Multiplication() part of the following snippet of code :

Multiplication objMultip=new Multiplication();

but when I do, I can only run the program once, because the value of "product" accumulates and if I run the Multiplication subprogram again, it shows the accumulated product, and this is not what I want. Is there any way I can reset it using the "new" function? Because at the moment the error message states:

error: conversion from 'Multiplication*' to non-scalar type 'Multiplication' requested
Is there any way I can reset it using the "new" function?

"new" will return a pointer to an instance. i.e. it will give you a Multiplication* which you would have to delete when you're done. This is dynamic memory allocation and this is not necessary for your current problem.

I would suggest to write CalculateMultip without the product variable as it is not necessary.
How can I write CalculateMultip without the product
variable? Without it the function wouldn't use recursion, which is what I have been asked to use :S
I've tried changing the line from:
Multiplication objMultip=new Multiplication();
to:
Multiplication* objMultip=new Multiplication();
and even:
Multiplication* objMultip=new Multiplication;

but the same error appears, on line 5 of the main() program below,
where I have a case that says:

case 2: cout << "Write the first number: ";
                    cin>>pA;
                    cout << "Write the second number you would like to multiply: ";
                    cin>>pB;
                    cout << pA<<" * "<<pB<<" = "<<objMultip.CalculateMultip(pA,pB)<<endl;
                    break;

here the error message is:

error: request for member 'CalculateMultip' in 'objMultip', which is of non-class type 'Multiplication*'

You don't have to use dynamic allocation, you can just create a local instance inside a loop:

while (loop == true)
{
  Multiplication theMultip; // Constructs with default constructor (no params)

cin >> pA;
  cin >> pB;
  cout << theMultip.CalculateMultip(pA, pB);
}

That way, it creates a Multiplication object every time round the loop.

Alternately, if you don't want to keep creating new objects, you can provide a reset() function in the Multiplication class and call that to clear the results out.

Cheers,
Jim
That works perfectly Jim, thanks to all that replied, with the loop it resets just as I want it to! =)
 case 2:                  
                    loop=true;  
                    while (loop == true)
                    {
                    Multiplication objMultip; // Constructs with default constructor (no params)
                    cout << "Write the first number: ";
                    cin>>pA;
                    cout << "Write the second number you would like to multiply: ";
                    cin>>pB;
                    loop=false;
                    }
                    break;
How can I write CalculateMultip without the product variable? Without it the function wouldn't use recursion, which is what I have been asked to use :S

This function uses recursion and does not use the product variable.

int CalculateMultip(int a, int b)
{
   if(b == 0)
   {
      return 0;
   }
   else
   {
      return a + CalculateMultip(a,b-1);  //implements recursivity
   }
}
Last edited on
Oh I see what you mean now! Thanks!
Just one more - now I see how you're using it, you don't need the loop within the case 2: section; you're always setting loop=false after the first iteration, so it can become:

case 2:  {
           Multiplication objMultip;

// Do prompting/reading

}
         break;

On a related note - this example is fine because the Multiplication class is lightweight and doesn't have much overhead to construct/destruct it.

If it wasn't lightweight (it contained a lot of members that all needed initialising, for example), and you were running around the main loop many many times, it would become a performance issue because it would take time to construct/destruct each instance. In that case you'd be better off just re-using the same instance and resetting it.

Jim
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.