Array Problem with Loops

I am working with arrays and so to help myself understand I think of a program I want to design using what I just learned, so here is what I want to do. I created a array named 'names'. It uses string array so the user enters in 5 names in a loop and stores them then starts another loop and prints out all 5. Here is what I have. When I run it however, it only prints out the last value entered

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    string names[5];
    for (int x = 0; x < 5; x++)
    {
        int a = 0;
        cin >> names[a];
        a++;
    }
    for (int y = 0; y < 5; y++)
    {
        int b = 0;
        cout << names[b] << endl;
        b++;
    }

return 0;
}
Last edited on
You're not using strings anywhere in that code.

If you go over the logic of your for loops you'll notice that you are declaring your array indexer to be 0 every iteration of your loop.
You don't need a new variable to use as an array index for those for loops anyway just use the x and y variables you're using in your for loop constraints.

int i;
int data[5];
for(i=0;i<5;i++)
{
    data[i] = i+1;
}
hi
ok. so I don t think that you need integer a and b at all... you should delete line 11 13 17 and 19 and in first loop change name [a] to x and in second name[b] to y.

you have already stated x to 0 and every time go x + 1 so you don t need a and b any more try to get rid of them and compile and run it again.. see how that works for you..
Last edited on
Mirec......thank you so much, it works perfectly now!! I never thought I would overthink how to set up the loop but I guess I did.
you re welcome. any time :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.