Help using random function!

Hey guys, so i want to make a database of sorts. Dont know if this is the proper definition, but what i want to accomplish is i want to have a whole bunch of
cout texts that say different things. I then want to assign them to a char
and randomly call one of the texts in the program later on.

My understanding, is i should declare all the chars im going to assign to the different texts... if i have 3 texts
char a
char b
char c

a = cout << "random sentence a"; // and so on and so on

My question is... Am I on the right track for this idea?
My next question is... how can i consolidate this?? Is there a way to make a text file or other program just for storing a TON of these sentences, and then having the random function call randomly from that file?

Edit: I know i could use int or double instead of char, and that would probably make categorizing the sentences easier if i were to have them in this theory database of mine.
Thanks!
Last edited on
Hi,

Assignment like this is invalid, but anyway, you are better off storing the sentences in an array or a vector of strings.

MrBananas wrote:
My question is... Am I on the right track for this idea?

Sort of, yes. But you'd be better off assigning sentences to numbers. After all, that's what your PRNG will generate.

MrBananas wrote:
Is there a way to make a text file or other program just for storing a TON of these sentences, and then having the random function call randomly from that file?

Yes. You can use fstream (http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/fstream/fstream/) for reading from files. My advice would be to store the lines in the text file, one string per line and read them in to a std::vector. Then, picking a random string is a simple as picking a random number between 0 and vector.size() - 1.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.