Made it about 1/3 through my book... Help

Hello,

I joined this forum not too long ago, after deciding that I wanted to learn C++. After doing some research, I decided to buy Jumping into C++ by Alex Allain. I wanted a book that would cater to the beginner, and I felt that this book did a great job of it (at first). However, soon (after getting into pointers and recursion), I was completely lost.

The book does a good job of holding your hand and walking you through everything. Then BOOM! it takes off in a dead sprint (unfortunately, leaving me in the dust).

I don't know where to go from here. I have re-read the chapters I don't understand multiple times, but I feel that the author takes for granted that the reader can make the giant leaps that the book requires.

I really enjoy programming and I want to continue, but I don't know if I can.

I really enjoy studying (not just programming, but anything) and in my experience I've found that consulting numerous sources on a particular subject is extremely helpful. I was thinking to just buy another book, but I don't want to spend 30-40 more dollars on a book that I can only half-finish.

Anyone have any advice for someone in my situation?

I have looked at past posts on the topic of reading materials, but there are too many to choose, and I have no idea which would be best for me.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.