Need c++ assistance!!!!

Pages: 12
hello, I decided i need to learn c++, because i heard you MUST KNOW it to start programming, im only 12, and most things I look at are a bit complicated, so I few questions so i can get a start in programming

question 1) I heard C++ is a like a language, what does that mean exactly? most sites i look at just say " its a language used for programming" and stuff like that, but is there any other way to define that?

question 2)how would i use c++ in programming?

question 3) how hard is it to learn it?

question 4) What is the most effective way to learn c++, I've seen books(not read) , and looked a few tutorials, but its still a bit confusing, and also, how long would it take to learn it?

and thats it for now! please answer and help! and possibly don't make it to complicated, as simple as can be please. Thanks!!

Note: Everyone, thanks for all the help so far! it really means a lot to me :D (second page of comments :3)
Last edited on
Do you have any previous programming experience in general?

12 years old is a great place to start learning, IMO, because then you can really get creative with things, and deeply root the foundation of programming logic in your head, at a young age. This way, as you get older, these things will tend to just "flow" out of your brain without much thought. Just don't forget to play outside a few hours a day.

1.) C++ is a programming language. Where the English language would have the syntax used up to this point, C++ would use statements, variables, functions to speak. Imagine how you would tell a very young child to do a certain activity. You would have to explain how to do the activity, word for word, step by step. This method would be similar to coding in C++, and programming in general. Remember, computers are only as intelligent as we program them to be (at least I think that's still how it is...). So think of writing a program as "Extending your knowledge, to your program". Also, it's like a language in that to learn it, you will be studying about as much material as you would a brand new spoken language.

When you start a project to solve a problem or reach a certain goal with your program, PLAN. Take out paper and pencil, and jot down flowcharts, ideas, functions, and just keep writing until you have a basic outline of what the finished project will be.

2.) C++ is great for developing games I hear, it's also great for creating software and programs that handle advanced and complex mathematical computations that would take a human lifetimes to do.

3.) It depends on your dedication to the art of programming, and the amount of logic ability and math ability you have, also reading must be "fun" for you. I just started learning C++ about 3 weeks ago and I feel like I'm getting the jist of things. However wisely, I know I will not know the language, really, for a few years.

4.) Read read read, practice, troll forums, practice, read more, and practice again. Just try to stay away from Video tutorials. They tend to skip over a ton of important concepts and content.

Let us know when you
"Hello World"
Good luck

Last edited on
Thank you, that was helpful, and i think i get c++ more, P.S. whats "Hello World?"

(wont be able to answer back if you answer until tomorrow)
oh and by the way, i do not have any experience in programming, but i was introduced to computers at a young age, and I know things that most kids at my age wouldn't
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_world_program
This tends to be the first program you get to write in almost any programming language. The aim at that time isn't really to learn very much about the language, it's more of a check that the environment is working ok, that is you are able to edit, compile, link and run a simple program.
okay
(sorry i only had time for a short reply because i had to go to swim practice (not lessons) ), so what your saying chervil is that you don't really need to learn it, and memorize stuff, its more to check stuff so everything is working fine?
I think Chervil was saying, the Hello World program is more often then not, the first program you will write when learning a programming language. It's used in tutorials and books and is sort of tradition in programming, to announce to the world you have made a program that works, and here is the proof. It also is a system check, to make sure you can actually compile code and run it (meaning you have set everything up right). Once you purchase your first programming book or read your first tutorial, you will know exactly what I am talking about. It feels good too!
Last edited on
Okay thanks, rcast, also, what should i use to start programming, as in like allegro or SDL (i think its SDL ) i heard allegro is good for beginners, or does c++ have its own program? i think i saw someone using a program that has the words c++ express or something like that, but i cant remember at the moment
C++ is a programming language , it is a means of communicating with the computer, as you might have learned in school computers only understand binary (1s and 0s) , actually these binary numbers are instructions which processor decodes to change the data flow and switch states inside,these are combined with memory addresses further.
It is very tedious to program or talk in binary ,added to that different processors talk differently , so to cope up high level languages were made. There languages are converted to machine language by compilers. You need to install a compiler to program in c++.

If you need more information and a tutorial head over to learncpp.com , it has a very detailed and comprehensive tutorial from ground zero , cplusplus.com also has a nice tutorial but i find learncpp better.

I personally use gcc compiler and codeblocks ide.
(Integrated Development Environments are programming environments with inbuilt text editor and compiler with other features to ease programming.)

If you find c++ too complicated you might consider learning html (language of web pages) and python (easy, beginner friendly language)

did you mean visual c++ express edition, it is an ide by micro$oft.

Best of luck.
Last edited on
Oh and forget allegro and sdl ,these are multipurpose libraries use for making games and other programs
amhndu, thanks for that, ill check out learncpp as soon as i get the chance, but im actually think of making games, so would i be using allegro or sdl? or can i still make games with c++ express edition? thanks!
I'd recommend code::blocks as the IDE and compiler http://www.codeblocks.org/
With that and the tutorial on this site, you can start right away http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Though you will need more than one tutorial to get a good understanding, ideally get a book or books on C++ too.

(the Orwell IDE is ok too http://orwelldevcpp.blogspot.co.uk/ )

It might also be good to start with a different programming language, such as Python. That could be a good way to start learning about programming. Once you can use one language, it becomes easier to learn another one - though there may be a slight "culture shock" at first when starting something new.
Thanks everybody!, chervil, how long would it take to learn python?

well, im off to school lol
How long is a piece if string? To learn any programming language thoroughly can take years. But when starting from scratch, you'd probably get a grasp of Python more quickly than C++. (well that'd just a hunch, I cant say for sure as neither of them was my first language). Say a week or two to get just the basics, and six months to a year for a fuller grasp. But you never really stop learning, there are always new techniques and better ways of doing things.
Last edited on
alright, what if i learned python for a short while, to get a feeling of what it would be like, then start into c++, would that work?
Who knows. You might consider it time wasted, if everything you learned up to that point was no longer quite right.

Of course at your age, there's time enough to learn multiple languages. I'd just recommend that you choose one language to begin with, stick with it until you are no longer worried about getting the right syntax and so on, until it starts to flow naturally.

At that point you start to make real progress, as the focus won't be on the language itself, but instead upon the particular problems or applications you are using it for.

Overall, C++ will probably give you greater possibilities in the longer term, regardless of how you start out.

Of course those are just my thoughts, other people may have other ways of looking at things.
Last edited on
Anything you do will work if you put in enough effort. Problem is, we don't know you well enough to judge what's in your best interests. Besides, you're 12! You might be bored with programming tomorrow and have moved on to skateboarding or graphic arts. Here's an idea: Try it out yourself and see how you do!

Get Python 3 here: http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/

Get these two free books which teach basic Python through game programming: http://inventwithpython.com/

Keep it simple at first and just use the IDLE editor that comes with Python to write and run your code. Don't forget to look at the Python manuals that install with Python. There's a good tutorial in there by the creator of Python to get you started.
okay, i think im just going to start with c++, so I can jump into what i want to learn as quickly as possible :D, also whats the http://www.codeblocks.org/ link that you gave me, what can i do with the website?
If you want to have a look at C++, my teacher offers his level one course online for any and all to learn. This has lectures, video examples and more, and is a great intro into C++.
Feel free to have a look:

http://programming.msjc.edu/cpp/Home.aspx
Pages: 12