For Loop not allowing inputs after first loop??

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to programing. I'm trying to create a program that will allocate the cost of an environmental clean up over a number of insurance companies that insured the contaminated property during the time of contamination based both upon the time they insured the property and their annaul policy limits.

I created a vector to take the name of each insurance company entered by the user. I need dynamic memory allocation becuase sometimes there's two insurers, other times there are 20. I used a for loop similar to the loop below, but I"m at work and don't have access to the actual code I wrote, but it behaved exactly like the following code:

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    vector<double> student_marks;
    // no size specified: vector contains
    // no elements

int num_students;
cout << "Number of students: " << flush;
cin >> num_students;

student_marks.resize (num_students);

for (vector<double>::size_type i = 0; i < num_students; i++)
{
    cout << "Enter marks for student #" << i+1 
         << ": " << flush;
    cin >> student_marks[i];
}
return 0; 
} 

Again, I did not write this code, but I modeled mine off of it. The problem is, the loop runs correctly once, and takes the input, but then it just prints out:"Enter marks for student 1 Enter marks for student 2," etc. After the first input, it never asks for the input for Students 2, 3, 4, etc., it just prints out "Enter marks for student . . ." over and over until the loop ends.

Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks,

Kevin
Last edited on
Did you enter non-numeric data?
Yes, I entered "A," for example. Is that the problem? I should note that in my program at home, I did not use an int variable, I used "char."
I could only judge based upon the code posted. The type of behaviour you described would fit what happens if the cin statement expects a number but gets something else.

This vector needs numeric values for example,
vector<double> student_marks;

If your actual code is substantially different, then you may need to wait until you have access in order to post that code here.
Yes, sorry about that... I'll post up my code when I get home. Thanks,

Kevin
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.