...stuck on a book problem

This one is from Prof. Horstmann.
I just can't put together the idea he has set up as a programming book excercise. I hope that there is somebody out there who is doing something that works a little better than what I am doing.

"
Write a program that reads each line in a file, reverses its characters, and writes the resulting line to the same file. Use the following pseudocode:

While the end of the file has not been reached
pos1 = current get position
Read a line
If the line was successfully read
pos2 = current get position
Set put position to pos1
Write the reveresed line
Set get position to pos2
"

So I am trying to do everything he has outlined. However, two things seem contradictory, these two lines : "While the end of the file has not been reached", and "If the line was successfully read" .

If you try to program the outlining above, it doesn't do anything at all, I think that I am missing something. I am not using anything to check if the line was actually being read other than cycling the getline function in a while loop. It is just not working at all, and I don't see how re-checking if the line was read helps. I know that I am missing something here.

...from page 380-1 as P8.8 from "C++ for Everyone" 2nd Edi. Cay Horstmann and as Wiley the Publisher.
Last edited on
The way he writes it, it sounds like he wants you to follow the steps below continuously and check at appropriate points if you should terminate.

He hasn't written a program, he's written an algorithm pseudo-code; it's up to you to figure out where to put the checks, or in a structured programming language, what loop to use and how to write it within the loop.
Last edited on
Yeah, it would seem as if he dumped out all the parts, leaving but just small tattered note with which to deal. I can't make anything out of the parts, and I have been trying for weeks now. I think I lost a piece or two somewhere.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.