Program termination

Hello,

I'm writing a program that validates a password entered by the user. The password has to contain some characters including *

The problem is that the program has to terminate when the user enters the single character * and I'm stuck on this part. How do I do it? Any feedback is appreciated. Here's my code:

do
    {  
        cout << "please enter a password with the following rules: " << endl << endl;

cin.getline(passName, 21);
        cout << endl << endl;
        passLen = strlen(passName);

for (int i = 0; passName[i]; i++)
        {
            if (passName[i] == '*') // i know that this code checks if the password contains the character *. 
                return 0;
        } 
} while(passName[len] != '*');
exit(0) is a good way to do it. You will have to include <stdlib.h> http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/cstdlib/exit/
for (int i = 0; passName[i]; i++)
{
	if (passName[i] == '*') // i know that this code checks if the password contains the character *. 
		return 0;
}

That exits your function (and the program?) when it sees any * character. That doesn't make sense since you say that the password must contain * characters. Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

At any rate, you said the program should exit if a single * character is entered as the password, but otherwise it should keep running. The way you have that coded, a password such as fd24^*K would also cause the program to stop running.
A signle character as in if the user only enters * and that's it. For example, If the user enters jj*, the program doesn't terminate and only shows an error message saying the password is too short. However, if the user enters only *, then the program should terminate. How would I do that?

I appreciate your responses.
        passLen = strlen(passName);
        if ( passLen == 1 && passName[0] == '*' )
            return 0 ;

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.