Best ways to learn C++?

Hey guys. So I have almost no experience with programming. Really my only experience is a few classes using HTML whether you consider that coding or not.

I recently got more interested in learning coding and pursuing it as a career. I would really like to work in the video game industry but I'm open to other paths as well, just kind of starting out right now. I was hoping you guys could give me a bit of guidance.

I've been told that C++ is the more used language for programming games so I've been trying to learn it on my own using some books (currently working on accelerated C++) that said its been pretty challenging so far because again I have no prior knowledge of coding.

Getting to the point. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

1. What are the best ways to go about learning C++ with the intention of getting involved in game programming? Obviously a computer science degree would be great, but are there other ways to get an entry level programming job without a 4 year degree? How hard is it to get a job without a degree? If I learn on my own and through non-4 year programs could I find work? Basically I don't know how I should go about this, or if its even possible to really get into the industry without a computer science degree?

2. What other languages are in high demand right now? I know a lot of people are looking for ruby on rails developers. While I would really like to work on games I am open to learning other languages that are in high demand as a means to get some experience and to continue learning.

3. How would you recommend learning C++ or other coding languages outside of college classes? Obviously I'm using some textbooks on my own and that's great but are there any good online resources you would recommend using. I know this site has some tutorials, but is there anything else you would recommend?

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks!
1. Code your own games, look into modern technologies and engines. Participate in contests like that: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a409908/epic-launches-student-developer-contest-unreal-engine-4-the-prize.html
Many full fledged games grows from student projects and game mods: Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Portal, DOTA II...
if its even possible to really get into the industry without a computer science degree

It is quite possible. Just don't let first setbacks stop you.

What other languages are in high demand right now?
Depends on field. For games it pribably will be C, C#. Java knowledge can help you too. Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby — they are in high demand now.
1. Read and code.

2. C# and Java are hot right now as far as languages go. Ruby on Rails is actually a framework for the language Ruby just like ASP.Net is a framework for C# and VB.

If you are interested in Web programming Javascript is a must. Client-side data binding is huge now and will only increase in demand since users want extreme performance.

3. Depends on if you want to be a developer or if you just want to do it as a hobby.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.