Beginner DirectX question

Im learning DirectX and was wondering if I get the header files for SDK 11 will they still be compatible with functions from version 9? My book is a little dated.

It would make sense that the COM interfaces used in the book would still be available in SDK 11 but, just to be sure.

The book I am using is Intro to 3D Programming with Directx 9.0c: A Shader Approach.
If you can you need to learn the most up to date 3d api there is both directx and opengl have changed dramtically from their ealier verisions
closed account (zb0S216C)
I'm by no means a master at DirectX (not because it keeps changing), but I think that DirectX 11 does not support the legacy classes and interfaces any more. As far as I know of, both OpenGL and DirectX have been pushing per-pixel, fragment and vertex shaders pretty hard since the fixed-function pipeline (FFP) is becoming dated on modern GPUs. Besides, shaders produce fantastic results with improved performance in comparison to the FFP.

DirectX 9 currently support shaders, as well as OpenGL, but the latest versions of both DirectX and OpenGL have improved their shading languages with the help of AMD and Nvidia.

To this day, most AAA games support DirectX 9, so it hasn't been completely abandoned. After acquiring a solid foundation with DirectX 9, I would starting expanding with either DirectX 10 and/or 11.

Wazzak
Last edited on
I'm by no means a master at DirectX (not because it keeps changing), but I think that DirectX 11 does not support the legacy classes and interfaces any more. As far as I know of, both OpenGL and DirectX have been pushing per-pixel, fragment and vertex shaders pretty hard since the fixed-function pipeline (FFP) is becoming dated on modern GPUs. Besides, shaders produce fantastic results with improved performance in comparison to the FFP.

DirectX 9 currently support shaders, as well as OpenGL, but the latest versions of both DirectX and OpenGL have improved their shading languages with the help of AMD and Nvidia.

To this day, most AAA games support DirectX 9, so it hasn't been completely abandoned. After acquiring a solid foundation with DirectX 9, I would starting expanding with either DirectX 10 and/or 11

Thank you :) I wasent sure if I should just go ahead and jump full steam ahead to 11 for later when I move up versions. Right now I am trying to take it easy and learn Directx 9 and going good. So what languages support newer versions of Directx if legacies are outdated?
closed account (zb0S216C)
ForRealzZzZ wrote:
"So what languages support newer versions of Directx if legacies are outdated?"

Graphic libraries are written so that the API is native to the target language, usually. I know for a fact that all versions of DirectX and OpenGL are written in C/C++.

The SDK for OpenGL 1.0 to 4.3 and DirectX 9, 10 and 11 are still around for both C/C++ and C#, but I'm not sure about other languages.

Wazzak
Im telling i made the mistake of learning fixed pipeline DO NOT LEARN FIXED PIPELINE it is not COMPLETELY obsolete but for anyone who is just getting into 3d learn either the shader stuff for dirctx or opengl
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.