Problem with "=" operator in a problem regarding classes

Here is a bit of the code in question. the error is in line 13, "x = c.addition(d);" the problem has to do with something in another part of the code, as this section is a driver program.

int main()
{
   Rational c( 2, 6 );
   Rational d( 7, 8 );
   Rational x; // creates three rational objects 

c.reduction();
   d.reduction();

c.printRational(); // prints rational object c
   cout << " + ";
   d.printRational(); // prints rational object d				
   x = c.addition( d ); // adds object c and d; sets the value to x 

x.reduction();

cout << " = ";
   x.printRational(); // prints rational object x

system("pause");
   return 0;

The program has a header file, which is simply the class definition. It is correct.

Thus, the problem (insofar as I can determine) must lie in the addition function, shown below.

void Rational::addition(Rational d) // adds fractions
{
   int numerSum;
   numerSum = (numerator * d.getDenominator()) + (denominator * d.getNumerator());
   if (denominator <= d.getDenominator())
   {
       denominator = d.getDenominator();
   }
}

I very well could be off base with this, so I am open to criticism. I have been programing for 4 years now, 2 of which at the collegiate level. Thus, I know the concepts fairly well, but some of the grittier applications throw me, and compiler error wording is, to say the least confusing, and, not far from that, a foreign language to me.

As a side note, I am using the DEV C++ compiler.

My friends are busy and my instructor is out of the office, so I need some help from those at this site. Thank you for any help or insight you can offer.
Please post the complete error messages. While they may not make sense to you they may be perfectly clear to others.

Hi, for your void Rational::addition(Rational d) function, is a void. So it does not return any values. But for Line 13, x = c.addition( d );, it returns a value x.

Might need to check that?
Thanks, That was the trick. There is another debugging problem now, but it will show up in another thread. Thanks all.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.