Extremely confused any help would be amazing...

So hey,

I am really confused about a couple of things but I will start off about the simple things first. So, I've always wanted to be a programmer and I have just started to learn I know the basics I think :/ anyway I want to start programming 2D strategy games. But recently I just realized that all the programming I have learnt shows in a console window (I have been learning how to program from a book called beginning c++ through Game Programming third edition by michel Dawson ) This book only shows me texted based programming and I was wondering if I'm doing the right thing to help me program 2D games.

If there is any other tutorial or book that would help me more please tell me.

Now the next thing I'm extemely confused on, how do you use programming to make games like total total annihilation. I don't actually want to know the code and every thing I just want to know: how to make and design maps/levels, how to implement AI in to that map/level, how to program a thing you actually control with Your keyboard etc.I would also like to know what people use to make there maps etc.

Thanks for reading anyone who did and I have a tone more questions that I need to ask as well haa but I will leave them out for now. :D
This book only shows me texted based programming and I was wondering if I'm doing the right thing to help me program 2D games.

I'd say no. If you're interested in making 2D games, that's where you should start. They're not as difficult as you'd think if you use the right lib.

My advice is to get a lib like SFML and start doing what you want. It'll be way more fun and you'll learn faster because you'll be immediately applying what you learn in a way which interests you.

Here's a guide I wrote to get SFML set up:

http://cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/95295/#msg511542

how do you use programming to make games like total total annihilation

I don't know what that game is. =x

how to make and design maps/levels

Often this stuff is stored in external files. Then your program reads the file into an array or container where you can actually use it. For creating the levels... you'd probably use a level editor. There are pre-made level editors around, or you can write your own.

how to program a thing you actually control with Your keyboard

You'll see how to do this when you look at a lib designed for this (like SFML). There's functions you can call to get the state of any key. Just check the state of the arrow keys and move an object according to that.
Thanks soooo much for your help :D
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.