Beginners - October 2013

Skipping ahead to classes

I'm in an intro to CS course, and the book we are using (Starting Out With C++ 7th ed.) goes through the basics pretty much through the first 7 chapters of how ...
[8 replies] Last: as albatross said pointers are critical however they are fairly easy t... (by Cronnoc)
Yet another c++ calendar thread..

Hi everyone, I'm taking a beginning C++ class, and we're working on a project to write a calendar using loops. I'm nearly done with my project, but I just real...
[2 replies] Last: Thank you for the reply Disch, that seemed to have fixed that issue. ... (by Kevin2341)
Overloaded functions

I'm a little confused on this assignment. I've done most of the program but am a little confused by the call to the second function. Thought I was doing well an...
[2 replies] Last: Seriously? This assignment seem way to easy for what I've been able to... (by allendks45)
Multiple Classes

I need to implement the functions from the header file (2nd piece of code), using a string class (1st piece of code). I'm a little lost on how to start. The 3rd...
[3 replies] Last: Yes, and yes. After all, you're storing the length of your string, are... (by Albatross)
abstract template class

Consider this code: template <class TYPE> class base{ public: TYPE in; void func()=0; }; I want to create a derived class of base class, whose TYPE...
[1 reply] : Did you try to compile it? Note that func needs to be declared as v... (by AbstractionAnon)
Cartoon rendering

Hi there, I'm a C++ beginner, missed a lot of labs and lectures (not my fault, honestly) and well I have an assignment to hand in next week. I've done most of i...
[1 reply] : //for every facet proyection = dot( normal.normalize(), light.normali... (by ne555)
LetterGrade Help

I seem to be having problems I'm not sure what exactly references are used for I'm not sure if I am using them correctly or not. So the objective is to create a...
[2 replies] Last: @OP Line 67. You've defined a function named DetermineScore But on ... (by booradley60)
Some fun errors

I'm writing a program that has various operations preformed on a vector of 16 restaurants. I'm in the process of setting this bad boy up, and suddenly I get som...
[2 replies] Last: Thank you! (by hseipert)
Opening movie file with a program within a program?

What I mean is, is it possible to open a .wav or whatever with the users default video player. Like this: OpenFile(movie.wav, defaultProgram); Defau...
[1 reply] : I have found out about ShellExecute, but it gives me this error: #d... (by nicedude80)
by enemy
for loop

Hello! Please, what is wrong with the loop? Why is this loop writing out 1 and not 5??? // skrajšanje vlomkov #include<iostream> using namespace st...
[1 reply] : it does write out 5's if you do it like this: #include<iostream> usi... (by Uk Marine)
by Zodack
Help with Forking/stdin/stout/pipes

Hi, I am trying to write a program that can implement pipes and redirects in a shell environment. Essentially what this means is I have a main process that pr...
[2 replies] Last: As far as I know, the find_first_not_of hasn't failed, and I'm unsure ... (by Zodack)
bool function causes runtime termination

Can I have a little help troubleshooting? I am working on a program that will calculate altitude and acceleration from time and velocity inputs in a vector. My ...
[no replies]
by ckl3
While loop not ending

I'm a beginner in programming and can't get the while loop to function properly. Please take a look and see what's wrong with the while loop.. or anything else ...
[3 replies] Last: What function are you trying to represent on line 27 (26 in the code b... (by booradley60)
Lost in pointer translation

I am somewhat confused by why this code doesn't maintain the previously assigned value. I assume the pointer is not correctly set in the struct, but why/how? An...
[6 replies] Last: Awesome! Thanks!! (by cdrmnky)
Exercise from C++ Primer

Hi, I done this exercise for the book I am reading. Here is the exercise: Write a program to read strings from standard input looking for duplicated words. ...
[8 replies] Last: Okay, thanks for your help. I can read on in my book now. Amazing book... (by closed account SNR21hU5)
code puts out nothing

I have no clue whats wrong here but the code doesn't put out anything this might be something really basic that i overlooked the "cout << TenQuintillion" was a ...
[10 replies] Last: ran the file with fstream and noticed i forgot to exclude divisible si... (by pixelpuffin)
Pseudocode For Loop

Hi guys, I am looking to write one of my for loops in pseudocode but I cannot find anything on the internet that I can understand so I am hoping someone can hel...
[8 replies] Last: Thanks everybody. Sorted now. (by sailorman444)
Lychrel numbers (project Euler 55 problem)

I'm supposed to find all supposed Lychrel numbers. If in 50 iterations number doesn't become palindromic then it's Lychrel number. I can't seem to get the right...
[3 replies] Last: boost can deal with multiprecision numbers as well: http://www.boost.o... (by Cubbi)
by davef
Variable initialization question

Getting straight to it, how do I know when I need to initialize a variable in the declaration line? Ex: The program below prompts the user for an integer, r...
[4 replies] Last: In your code you are assigning the value of n % m to x before usi... (by Annatar)
by blurz
Repeating characters that should be deleted are not. (1,2)

Hello, I am working on a project where I must read characters from an array and delete any repeating characters from the array. The array contains "mary had a l...
[24 replies] Last: Thanks for sharing "booradley60" I need that info too ... (by russellford)
October 2013 Pages: 123... 86
  Archived months: [sep2013] [nov2013]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.