Newbie Game Programming

Could anybody please get me started in the complex field of game programming? I have made text adventures and all that stuff, but I'm looking for graphical games. I need an easy-to-use, C++-style graphics library with familiar syntax (I've done about a year of C++ game programming.) and an easy to use engine. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I have Dev-C++ with MingW.
On my Linux box(es) I have Code::Blocks with gcc and g++.
P.S. I want to make a zombie game :)
Last edited on
closed account (jyU4izwU)
Well I recomend DirectX If you are new.
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
"Well I recomend DirectX If you are new."
^ That is stupid! Do not learn directx if you are new.

Learn sfml it is very fun and easy! You can also get help easier. You can pm me for help, I am not advanced but I learned the basics!
Last edited on
Filiprei wrote:
^ That is stupid! Do not learn directx if you are new.

This is not helpful. Please supply facts, reasons and arguments rather than your subjective opinion that something is "stupid" or keep it to yourself.

ibranext wrote:
Well I recomend DirectX If you are new.

Also not terribly fact-filled.

Since you're asking for a C++ style graphics library with "familiar" syntax, SFML is probably the library that best fits the bill for 2D graphics. SDL is SFML's only real competition, but it's a C-based library.

If it's 3D graphics you're after tackling, you'll probably want to try out irrlicht or ogre. I am not well informed enough about either one to make a recommendation, but that should give you a place to begin googling at least. Perhaps someone who is better informed will jump in here.
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
Actually go ahead and try to learn the hardest library first. Then you can step down if you don't understand anything. You will eventually find your preferred library. Then you can move up the ladder when you are ready.
Last edited on
closed account (jyU4izwU)
its not tru it is not the hardest... He Probably wants to make a fps game... and its east to make it on DIRECTx
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.