Problem with vectors, classes and inheritance

Hello,

I'm writing a project in C++, and I am stuck on a problem I don't know how to handle.

I have the following classes:

class entity
{
      friend class item;

public:
             void show_potions();
             vector<item> potions; 

class item{

friend class entity;

public: 
             virtual void print_details(){}

class health_potion : public item{
      public:
             void print_details(){
                  cout << name << ": restores 50 hit points" << endl;}
      protected:
                int health_restore;
};

Please note that the constructors and other contents of the classes are irrelevant I think and I omitted them on purpose.

Somewhere in the program I have a function that generates random objects of the Item class, and puts them in the corresponding vector. I'm trying to test if it works. So I have tried to create a function in the Entity class, that would do this.

void entity::show_potions(){

vector<item>::iterator i;
     for (i = potions.begin(); i != potions.end(); ++i)
     i->print_details();
};

The program won't compile. The error goes as follows:

C:\Users\Wojtek\Desktop\PO2 - Projekt\project v. 2.0.cpp: In member function `void entity::show_potions()':
C:\Users\Wojtek\Desktop\PO2 - Projekt\project v. 2.0.cpp:90: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct item'
C:\Users\Wojtek\Desktop\PO2 - Projekt\project v. 2.0.cpp:15: error: forward declaration of `struct item'

I've only recently learned about vector, inheritance and friend classes. As can be seen, I still have problems with it.

I will appreciate all help you can give me.

Kind regards,

Wojciech
You can't use a solid type in a vector if you want polymorphism.

Instead of:

vector<item> potions;

Use a pointer:

vector<item *> potions;

This is better though:

vector<std::unique_ptr<item>> potions;

You have to use a pointer because otherwise the vector does not know how much memory to allocate for each item - different classes use different memory, it is impossible without using a pointer.
Last edited on
Hello,

Thank you for the very swift response.

I went this way:

vector<item *> potions;

And changed the function:

void entity::show_potions(){

vector<item *>::iterator i;
     for (i = potions.begin(); i != potions.end(); ++i)
     i->print_details();
};

Good news is, I'm not getting that error anymore. Bad news is, I'm getting another one.

C:\Users\Wojtek\Desktop\PO2 - Projekt\project v. 2.0.cpp: In member function `void entity::show_potions()':
C:\Users\Wojtek\Desktop\PO2 - Projekt\project v. 2.0.cpp:90: error: `print_details' has not been declared
C:\Users\Wojtek\Desktop\PO2 - Projekt\project v. 2.0.cpp:90: error: request for member of non-aggregate type before '(' token

The error is pointing to this line:

i->print_details();

Please advise.

Kind regards,

Wojciech
Last edited on
i is an iterator, i-> gets to the pointer. You need (*i)->print_details();
Hello,

Thank you for your help.

I once again started encountering the original problem. I managed to solve it however. I had to move the declaration of the Item class to the top.

Now at least I will know, that if class A wants to be friends with class B, class B needs to be declared earlier.

Kind regards,

Wojciech
They shouldn't be friends in the first place ;)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.